Video Games 4 Trade

Retro Video Games for Trade or Sale Nintendo Super Grafx Neo Geo

Forums

Forum Home > Welcome to the Forums > How to Reset Wii Parental Controls

Alex
Site Owner

Hey,

So, I got a wii whilst hoping around town (the last one I bought, which I thought was a good deal, did not read discs) 

Everything seemed fine, it played discs, and I was happy.  I then tried to connect to the 'net, and it needed a parental code.  I was "not happy", so I figured I would have to call Nintendo of America to reset the code.  It may be a bit strange, as I was not the original purchaser of the wii. 

The wii parental code is a 4 digit code that parents can set, so the kids can't change settings and etc. After a bit of searching, I found this website:

Reset Wii Parental Code

I went to the wii menu, clicked forgot my password, it had a question of what "my favorite movie was", which I had no idea, so I clicked the reset button.  It then game me an 8 digit confirmation code.  I put it in that website, and clicked enter, and it gave me a 5 digit code, which I thought was incorrect.  I tried to enter the code, but the parental code was 4 digits, I went back in the system to the master code, and entered the 5 digit code, and it works fine!

So, bottom line, it is not that hard to reset your wii parental code, you don't even have to call Nintendo.  I bet that the parental code is encrypted somehow, and is tied to that 8 digit number, and is also tied to a master reset, so Nintendo can reset it.  Someone probably did a lot of brute forcing and figured out the encryption scheme, pretty cool!!!

September 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

Interesting to know sir.

--

This silence is deafening......

December 2, 2013 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

I thought it would be really hard and shit, but that little hack worked!

December 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

That's something I'll need to know for the store.

--

This silence is deafening......

December 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.