Video Games 4 Trade

Retro Video Games for Trade or Sale Nintendo Super Grafx Neo Geo

Forums

Forum Home > Welcome to the Forums > Chiptunes

Alex
Site Owner

OK,

I am a little surprised I did not have a section for strictly CHIPTUNES!!!

Anyway, except this area to get very heavily populated with amazingness...

I cleaned up my studio, and finally got to making beats and playing with stuff again.  I decided it would be amazing to hook my midines to my NES powerglove.

For those of you in the know, you already know.  But, for others, the Midines is a Nes cart that has been hacked to provide a MIDI out cable, for hooking up to keyboard, sampler, drum machine etc.  You place the cart in your nes and plug the other end into another music machine.  The cart cannot make music by itself, you need a way to control it.

You actually use a nes controller to change certain perameters

(more later!!!!!!!!!!!)

July 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

And where can one find such a cart Al?

--

This silence is deafening......

July 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

danpantzig

I use a cracked version of FLStudio for making (fake) chiptune.  Damn fun stuff, that.

--

I hope she made LOTSA SPAGHETTI!
July 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

Love the new signature dan, lol!

--

July 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

danpantzig

Thanks, Bozz...but I've never actually played Hotel Mario...seems downright hilarious, though.

--

July 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

http://www.wayfar.net/

They are a pretty decent deal, but I have heard it takes months to get yours, as there is one on ebay for hella premium, over $350?!?!

I have used FLstudio and all the plug ins, and they are pretty great.  However, I wanted to get hardware and the PC stuff is ok, but I switched to a Mac setup..

So, I hooked up the power glove to the nes, controller one, and hooked up the sensors.  I hooked the midines out to my MPC 2000xl, and I can trigger the pulse 1/2, wave, noise and drum chanels directly from the Nintendo sound board.  In the midi menu, you can change the sound from it.  However, I noticed that I can change the sound with movements from the powerglove.  It is pretty cool, one hand on the pads, one in the powerglove.  I will have a video soonish?!

I also have a Commodore 64 with the Piano Overlay, and Music Machine.  it is really cool, as it shows you the note you played.  So, it is very helpful to learn to read music.  There are many parameters you can change, and it sounds so nice with the SID chip inside.

LSDJ, is another badass.  You can get it on a gameboy cart from Johan Kowalitski, and it is a tracking program.  It is a cult and mainstream at the same time.  There are so many modders out there, with the 1/8 prosound jack, RCA jack, front light and more...

July 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

I used to use FL studio, there are quite a few good chiptune plug ins.  But, I find that I like samplers and drum machines better than using "software" alone...

I did get a new sound card Saffire 40, which is sick. 

August 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

danpantzig

Having virtually no access to extra equipment, FL Studio w/ Peach, Triforce, Toad, Magic 8-bit, etc plugins is the best/easiest way to go.  Although I do want to get a Rock Band keyboard for playing the parts instead of just clicking the boxes to program them.

Any good Chiptune artist recommendations (apart from Anamanaguchi)?

--

August 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

I got a USB keyboard, and the rockband key tar when it was $20 at gamepoop, and I used it with fl, so much better... Go grab any midi or USB, keyboard or drum pad, mpd24, 18, 32, or other USB device, trigger finger, etc....

August 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card

$39 fly...

August 5, 2012 at 2:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

http://www.heavyw8bit.com/nes_drum_machine.php

August 5, 2012 at 2:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

b45r

Sulumi

Shirobon

Bokusatsu Shoujos Koubou

--

August 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

Henry Homesweet

Pixelh8

Nullsleep

August 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

Henry Homesweet

Pixelh8

Nullsleep

August 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

b45r

LSDJ is pretty fun. I wanted to make tunes on the DMG. But I took it apart to add a backlight...that hasn't arrived. So I made one on the SP. Got tired of waiting for the backlight and tried it in the DMG. It sounded different and like crap on the DMG. So what would happen if I made one on the DMG then put it in the SP? >.>

--

August 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

Do it!!

--

August 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.