Video Games 4 Trade

Retro Video Games for Trade or Sale Nintendo Super Grafx Neo Geo

Forums

Forum Home > Welcome to the Forums > It's About Time Gaming Industry!!!!

AslBozz

Finally, I'll know what's going on without subtitles, lol!!!

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/08/valve-studying-sign-language-for-deaf-half-life-character/

--

This silence is deafening......

May 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

danpantzig

I'm just gonna point a few things out since I can't help being a jerkass:

This article is from 2009, also it's for Half-Life 3 which is probably never going to see the light of day.

Kinda neat, though.

May 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

I still have hope though ,lol! How long did it take for Duke Nukem Forever to come out, there is always a chance, I need games with more ASL in them, my friends are getting tired of interpreting games that do not have subtitles in them for me, ha ha!!

--

May 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

Maybe there is a market for a conversion program or something?

May 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

That would be nice, a lot of my Deaf freinds complain about the lack of subtitles in games, a lot of them have them now, but not all.

--

May 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

So, game developers have to actually put the subtitles in?  That is pretty terrible that people with hearing issues can play games, and not be able to read the dialog? 

I wonder if there are any hardware solutions, or maybe we should lobby the gaming industry for this??!!

May 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

Yeah, there are a few games that came out recently that my friends wanted to play, but couldn't because the game didn't have subtitles. I know Ubisoft uses subtitles in all their games now, but I will definitely be writing more letters to the gaming industry about this.

--

May 30, 2012 at 5:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

We all can help.....

May 30, 2012 at 6:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

That would be awesome!

--

May 30, 2012 at 10:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

Dang,

I tried to comment on this thread last week and I was locked out of the site for some reason....

I had a long post where I talked about this in detail.... Anyway, I will start over...

I emailed Games[CC] and asked them about helping, and promoting.  I have not heard back from them.  However, I feel that this is an important issue. 

From the FCC

Benefits of Closed Captioning

Closed captioning provides a critical link to news, entertainment and information for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. For individuals whose native language is not English, English language captions improve comprehension and fluency. Captions also help improve literacy skills. You can turn on closed captions through your remote control or on-screen menu. The FCC does not regulate captioning of home videos, DVDs or video games."

After reviewing a couple games, I have realized this is a big deal, and ruins hundreds of games for gamers.  I will contact the FCC from my other email, and start harrassing other game companies, so they know that there is support and a need for CC for video games.

I was just playing MW3, and realized the intro sceen has no subtitles, and is pretty relevant to the plot.  So, there are like 5 or so minutes, where a hard of hearing person, would have no idea what is going on. 

There will be a lot more on this topic, stay tuned....

June 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

I'm in town now, and have met with a lot of my old friends at thr Chicago Hearing Society and talked to them about this, they are in the process of getting petitions written up.

--

June 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

Also, I would like to send a letter to the heads of game companies as well.  This is terrible that the gaming industry, nor the FCC has mandated [CC] for video games.  There is no reason. 

June 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

I know, and glad to know there are other people who agree with us!

--

June 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

Game Sign Language

July 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

Game

July 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz