Video Games 4 Trade

Retro Video Games for Trade or Sale Nintendo Super Grafx Neo Geo

Forums

Forum Home > Welcome to the Forums > Future Consoles

Alex
Site Owner

I just started reading about the PS4 aka Orbis.  No PS3 support, and they are not going to allow you to play used games?  Oh, this is gonna be interesting!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-28-playstation-4-named-orbis-wont-play-ps3-titles-will-block-used-games-rumor

http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details

March 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

We couldn't forget you little buddy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U

March 28, 2012 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

LET THE CONSOLE WARS BEGIN!!!!!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-28-gamestop-could-refuse-to-stock-playstation-orbis-says-pachter

March 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

EVIL_SLEFO

Growing up I was all about getting the latest consoles. But I've learned that most of the time, the hardware is overpriced, the games are real crap at launch (sometimes a game stands out, but nothing worth rusing). Now, they want to lock used games.

Sony, XBOX forget a key things:

A lot of people trade in their used games to purchase NEW games on release. That won't happen anymore.

A lot of people are satisfied with the plethora of games on current systems. As are developers.This genearation of gamers probably has more casual players then any other generation. There's also more competiton then ever.

People won't drop $66 for a new game that is only 6 hours long. Or medicore. Becaue they can't trade this stuff in, or even barter with friends, I think a lot more gamers will be more picky in the game they purchase.

Me, personally, I'm not buying either if they go ahead with this. I have to draw the line somewhere.

--

What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!

April 2, 2012 at 12:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

I agree... I will be buying a wii u, if they don't do that bullshit.... But I think I can pass on the ps4 or 720....

April 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

I agree, if they go ahead with plans like these, I'm not making anumore purchases. I'll go back to playing my retro games offline and be content.

--

This silence is deafening......

April 16, 2012 at 2:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

As will most of America.... I have seen a bunch of people saying the same things.... I totally understand the frustration of the game companies, with LS, buying back games for nothing and selling them cheaper than new, and profitting a lot more than the game companies.  These companies are spending tons of money on RD, testing, employees etc.  All gamestop is doing is buying games for nothing and selling them for $5 under new prices, and then giving a discount on that, thereby inducing multiple sales at high profits...

April 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

True, this will run companies like LS out of the next gen business, but in the end, the game companies will be hurt even worse. They will have fewer physical locations to sell their games, meaning it will be downloadable only. Only "loyal to the franchise" gamers are going to go online and pay full price unless there is some sort of perk for that purchase.

Add the point where they may possibly be a used game lockout embedded, then you have hackers and modders coming in and making it even harder for the game companies to make a profit. It will come down to retailers hurting a lot and the gaming companies hurting a little, or the vice versa.

--

April 17, 2012 at 10:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

I think what we may see (drat) is a digital transmission system sadly.  If you have to pay and download the games, you can't trade or sell them, and whomever makes the system can take them back at any time... Then, they won't have all that bad PR that they are getting and going to get...

April 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

That leaves an opening for other compinies to try and make money in the business by releasing consoles that leave things the way they are now, they would have the backing of all gaming stores.

--

April 20, 2012 at 2:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

It will be interesting to see what happens...

April 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

Definitely interesting, but I prefer to not see it at all, lol!!

--

April 27, 2012 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

I know, but it is ineviteable... Just like going to cars from horse and buggies.  There will always be an underground, and that is where we will reside.

May 2, 2012 at 1:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

Power to the players!!

--

May 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hmieleski

AslBozz at May 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Power to the players!!

All of my rage.

--

Do not bother the middle aged man standing next to this sign. Leave him alone.

May 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hmieleski

With that New system not only will the gamers themselves have to adapt to buying and playing games in such a way but also the entire industry will have to get used to the idea. There will basically be a complete devide amongst game stores. those who sell and trade retro games that dont require these codes and those who do because the fan base will be so scattered. Of course we cant already deem it a failure because if you think a lot of games are requiring such a key for online play. And people suck right into that. Put that on a game like halo or call of duty where 98% is online play and they could make a fortune. Im saying I hate the idea but diehard online players are still going to eat  into that like a fat kid to a big ol piece of chocolate cake.

--

Do not bother the middle aged man standing next to this sign. Leave him alone.

May 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

Yeah, I know a few people who will be all for online only consoles and games, you know who I'm talking about Hmieleski....

--

May 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

b45r

yuuuppp. Just hate EA for starting this crap. We all do anyways. Even the people I know that work for EA hate EA. No battlefield for me. Iv'e already drawn my line.

June 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

I bought a copy of Battlefield, because I thought it would be a fun break from playing so much MW3... To my chagrin, you needed some kind of code, which I did not have, so I have not played it yet, and I am generally pissed, and would not be frequenting anything EA, unless I have to....

June 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

Despite all the anger that EA causes, they still put out some games that really impress and entertain me, without having to be online, like the Dead Space. I have Battlefield, what code are you talking about Al?

--

June 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.