Video Games 4 Trade

Retro Video Games for Trade or Sale Nintendo Super Grafx Neo Geo

Forums

Forum Home > Welcome to the Forums > Why the hate for Gamestop/Lamestop

EVIL_SLEFO

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. But I was curious why there is so much dislike toward Gamestop for some people. 

Sure, their pushy style toward reserving games is annoying, but past that, I enjoy talking about video games. Like how the employee is telling me that Dragon Age 2 is failing and how that makes me happy. (I hate the casual gamer). Or, I find something that catches my eye, like Valkyrie Chronicles for PS3 for like $14. 

Personally, I get very happy whenever I go there. It is a place to talk about video games and try and find some bargains. I understand that they don't offer the best prices for trade ins, like $25 for a game that pretty much just came out, but you don't have to make that deal with them. Sometimes, however, they have good deals, like a 50% bonus toward your mid level trade in. Sometimes, that is more convenient for me to take that deal than it is for me to trade with with someone on CL.

Mom and pop video game shops are cool, but they are far and few between IMO. So I ask, What is the beef with Gamestop? 

I think this could make for an interesting discussion. 

--

What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!

April 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chany60126

--

Plok for the SNES, go play it NOW.

April 13, 2011 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

Evil, there is not enough space on the internet for this discussion.

You should be trading on here, not trading stuff in!

Is it just me who can edit anything?

April 14, 2011 at 12:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

Site 1

Site 2

April 14, 2011 at 12:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

I have never been in a Game Stop where the employees hired new anything about games. And they train them to lie about their games, I worked there before, so I know how unreliable their info is.

--

This silence is deafening......

April 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

*Knew anything about games*

--

April 17, 2011 at 2:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

you know you can just click "edit" and edit your post, homie?

April 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

But only within a 10 minute time limit. I was over 10 minutes when I noticed the typo.

--

April 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

EVIL_SLEFO

AslBozz at April 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM

I have never been in a Game Stop where the employees hired new anything about games. And they train them to lie about their games, I worked there before, so I know how unreliable their info is.

I didn't know they train/tell people to lie to the customers. Now that you say that, I have noticed they say some suspect things when I ask about how good a game is ... now that I think about it, all games are "pretty good." 

What was it like working there? Can you explain, I'm really curious

--

April 17, 2011 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

EVIL_SLEFO

Alex at April 14, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Evil, there is not enough space on the internet for this discussion.

You should be trading on here, not trading stuff in!

Wow, that article couldn't have answered my question any better lol

(Edit) Meant to quote the post with links, not the above. 

--

April 17, 2011 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

EVIL_SLEFO at April 17, 2011 at 2:26 PM

AslBozz at April 17, 2011 at 2:17 AM

I didn't know they train/tell people to lie to the customers. Now that you say that, I have noticed they say some suspect things when I ask about how good a game is ... now that I think about it, all games are "pretty good." 

What was it like working there? Can you explain, I'm really curious

I worked there part time to earn extra cash for, big surprise, video games. You're exactly right, when customers would ask about games that were known to crappy, we couldn't tell them that, all games were just what they were looking for. They told us that unless a person specifically asked for cash for a trade in, to never mention it.

And when people brought in retro games ( this was back when they still carried them) we were specifically trained to tell them we couldn't take them in at all. Sometimes there would be a duplicate of a game out on the shelves, and the prices would be different, we were to charge them for the highest price.

Just a lot of underhanded stuff was going on. Just ask anyone on this site who plays modern games about the whole Mario All Stars, or Ultimate Alliance 2 situatons, just another thorn in my side, lol.

--

April 17, 2011 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

Oh yeah... The All Stars was a pre-order thing, and was only one pressing.  And then somehow  it was released again?

April 17, 2011 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

Yeah, told everyone it was never coming out again which sent the price skyrocketing online, only to have it released agin a few months later, which they knew was happening. Anyone remember the issue with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2?

--

April 17, 2011 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

EVIL_SLEFO

AslBozz at April 17, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Yeah, told everyone it was never coming out again which sent the price skyrocketing online, only to have it released agin a few months later, which they knew was happening. Anyone remember the issue with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2?

No ... my friend just got that game too recently (he buys only 2 player co op games) and I've been playing it. It's meh. What's the story about it? 

--

April 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

Well, Game Stop announceed that they were going to be doing preorders of MUA2, and that only they would have a code to unlock Juggernaught as a playable character, so everyone floods to GS to get the code, then when you got finished preordering it, they told you you can get the code when you pick the game up only.

The week MUA2 was released, GS ran out of download codes and told anyone who had preordered it for the code was pretty much sol.

--

April 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

No idea please enlighten us.

I bought the French game for DS, and I was not happy when they tried to sell me a "opened" copy, as a new price.  I was very unhappy, but that was the last copy, and it was very hard to find, so I took it... I am curious of what happens if you try to return it, if they even accept it as a return, and then if they will sell it as new or used, food for thought!

April 18, 2011 at 12:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

They will give you a few bucks, store credit of course, and throw a $29.99 price sticker on it and shelf it in "mint" condition.

--

April 18, 2011 at 12:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Site Owner

I almost never trade stuff in (save for PS2s for $45, and then 2 games on their list for a $9.99 Mariokart)

But, if you buy a new game, I believe you can return it for cash?  And if you get a preowned game you can do the same?

But new games are not allowed to be returned when they are opened, so I wonder what they will do...

I can't believe no one made a big stink about the mario or MUA2..

April 18, 2011 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CronoMagus

That download code thing used to happen all the time at Gamestop. You had to get there day of release and had to be one of the first customers of the day to get your code. Now they print the codes on your receipt so now that doesnt happen anymore. BUT it still happens with any physical pre-order bonus like a figure, shirt, or poster etc. 

most of the GS employees near me dont really know anything about games either. Al they really know is "Call of Duty is super sic bro" and "that game isnt nearly as good as Call of Duty" "you should trade in your PS3 copy of Black Ops for the 360 version, dude its sic bro!!!"

April 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AslBozz

The closest GS to me has 3 employees, a woman in her 50's who doesn't play games, and 2 college kids who only play online shooters.

--

April 18, 2011 at 8:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.