Wolverhampton Wanderers
Molineux

(A Collection of Old Pictures)


 

Molineux, 1869 - 1925

Wolves originally played at 'Dudley Road' in the Blakenhall area of the city, before moving to
Molineux on a permanent basis in 1889, making it the first 'new build' ground in league history.
Molineux was already well establish as a sports ground, hosting cycling, bowls and important fixtures
for the other football sides in the city. Wolves had first played there in 1885 against Walsall Town.

 

 Molineux Gardens 1869.
The lake is roughly where the centre circle would be, whilst the large building in the
background was for the South Staffordshire Fine Arts & Industrial Festival taking place

Layout of the site from 1889 to the early 1920s

 Molineux, 1905

Changing Rooms and Scoreboard, 1915

Molineux with Cycle Track still intact, 1920

Aerial view of Molineux between 1920 & 1925, cycle track gone

Molineux Street side banking, between 1920 & 1925

Molineux, mid 1920's  

 

 

Molineux, 1925 - 1935

Archibald Leitch arrives at Molineux in 1925 to transform the ground, building the
Waterloo Road Stand (1925), North Bank (1930), Molineux St Stand (1932) and South Bank (1935)

12th September 1925. Wolves beat Portsmouth 4-1 the same day as the Waterloo Road Stand opens
Note that building works aren't complete yet. The original North Bank 'Cow Shed' is to the right. 

Molineux, 1925. Waterloo Road Stand to left, old North Bank 'Cow Shed' far end

Waterloo Road Stand, 1925

Waterloo Road Stand, 1925
The entrance was based on the Trinity Road Stand Leitch had built at Villa Park two years previously,
without the costs that would cripple Aston Villa (or, alas, the Trinity Road's grandeur)

 15th January 1925. The original South Bank pre-Leitch

1925. Storm damage
1925. Storm damage
When the Waterloo Road Stand was built, the cover was moved to the open Molineux Street side.
It lasted barely a few months before perishing in a storm, leaving spectators once again open to the elements

1931-32, Looking from the South Bank  

1935, The South Bank being built

 

 

Molineux, 1936 - 1978

 

 Layout of the site from 1936-1978

Molineux with Wolverhampton City Centre in foreground, late 1930s/40s
Molineux, Late 1930s/1940s
Inside Molineux, late 1930s/1940s
Rear of the Molineux Street Stand, 1930s/40s
The Molineux Street Stand, 1949. Winston Churchill speaking
Rear of the Molineux Street Stand, 1949. Policeman moves a hawker on
  


The Molineux Street Stand and North Bank Corner, 1951
The Waterloo Road Stand, 1951
The Waterloo Road Stand 'crank', 1951
The South Bank 1951
The South Bank 1951
The South Bank 1951
The South Bank 1951
The Molineux Street Stand, 1951
 

The South Bank, 1950s

 

10th February 1951, Wolves 2-0 Huddersfield Town

Looking up Molineux Alley
Top of Molineux Alley, the Molineux Hotel to left
Rear of the South Bank
Rear of the South Bank
Rear of the South Bank

The South Bank pre-match
The South Bank and Molineux Street Stand pre-match

The South Bank
The South Bank
Fans in the South Bank/Molineux Street Stand corner
The South Bank and Molineux Street Stand Corner
Corner of the Waterloo Road Stand and South Bank

The Waterloo Road Stand
The North Bank
The North Bank

 

Boxing at Molineux, late 1950s

Mid-1950s, The South Bank and the original floodlights  

Plans announced for replacement of the first set of floodlights, 1957
The more familiar ones are erected, 1957

Late 1950's, gates to the ground at the top of Molineux Alley    

Molineux Hotel from St Peters Church Tower 1960s (note South Bank gates/top of Molineux Alley centre left)

 Close-up view of the Waterloo Road Stand as the Queen makes one of her many trips to the ground, 1962

Wolves win promotion back to the top flight, North Bank in view to left, 1967

December 1967. No play today. Corner of North Bank and Molineux St Stand
 

Aerial view of Molineux, c. late 1960s
Elevated view of Molineux c. late 1960s

The Molineux Steet Stand, 1970s

Molineux from St Peters Church Tower early 1970s
Rear of the Molineux Street Stand, 1970s
Molineux Street (left) and North Street (right) 1974
A snowy Waterloo Road enclosure, 1977
  
   North Bank Floodlights, 1978
Rear of the Molineux Street Stand, 1979

Aerial view of Molineux, John Ireland Stand being built, December 1978
John Ireland Stand being built, Molineux St Stand in foreground, December 1978
John Ireland Stand being built, 1979
  
John Ireland Stand being built, 1979
  
John Ireland Stand being built, 1979
  

Looking towards the North Bank, 1979
The Molineux Street Stand, 1979
The Molineux Street Stand, 1979
The Molineux Street Stand/South Bank, 1979
The Molineux Street Stand/South Bank, 1979

 

 

Molineux, 1979 - 1992

 

The South Bank during repair work, 1986
Rear of the Waterloo Road Stand, 1986

Molineux from the University Art Building, 1990
The South Bank, early 1990s

 Molineux 1991

 The North Bank's final days, 1991
The North Bank's final days, 1991
The North Bank's final days, 1991
The North Bank's final days, 1991  

 The new North Bank arises, 1992 (compare to 'Molineux 1991' shot)
The new North Bank takes shape, 1992

The John Ireland Stand prior to makeover, 1992  

Waterloo Road Stand (left) being demolished 1992
Inside the Waterloo Road Stand, 1992
Waterloo Road Stand demolition continues, 1992
Waterloo Road Stand demolition continues, 1992  

 South Bank still in situ as new ground takes shape, 1992. (note how far the pitch has moved over)

 

 

 

Plans for the Ground

 1958
(80,000 capacity with 30,000 seats. Plans scrapped.)

1958

(As above, different view)

1977 (1)
(Unknown capacity. Set to be built on grounds original footprint, abandoned for larger site below) 

1977 (1)
(Close-up of above model) 

1977 (2)
(50,000 capacity with 20,000 seats. Phase One (John Ireland Stand) completed in 1979. Rest of plans abandoned due to lack of finances.) 

1979
(Plans for John Ireland Executive Boxes, new Waterloo Road Stand in view opposite)

1988
(Capacity unknown, plans abandoned due to Hayward takeover)

1990
(Capacity 32,000, cost 15m. Plans refined for current ground.)

1991-93
(Capacity 28,500 all-seater. Built at cost of circa 13.5m)

1990s
(Plans to fill corners in at South Bank end, circa 3600 increase in capacity.)

 2010
(Plans to rebuild three sides to achieve 36,000 capacity. Cost at 40m)