1 Week Prior to Move Date
- Use up cleaning supplies, aerosol containers (like hairspray), bleach, etc. Do not pack or ship flammable items.
- Food or frozen items cannot be packed. Use as much as possible, and then prepare to clean out refrigerator.
- Pack a container to include first aid kit, some essential toiletries as well as a hammer and screwdriver. Prepare your children and pets for moving by packing a special box for their entertainment (This can include snacks and toys.)
- Remove fuel from equipment such as lawn mowers, gas grills, and motorcycles.
- Prepare for your first night in the new residence by packing linens and pillows in an accessible location.
The Day Before Your Move
- Defrost and clean refrigerator and freezer.
- Mark all boxes with the contents and designate room location. Fragile items and valuables may be packed prior to the mover’s arrival; decide whether the movers are moving these items or not. Determine whether or not it is necessary to take photographs. Prepare your checklist of items so that you may compare with the mover’s inventory.
- Arrange with the new owners or real estate person where to leave keys.
- Leave information with the police in case of emergency and be certain a trusted friend or relative has knowledge of your whereabouts.
The Day of Your Move
- Review the ‘Bill of Lading’ and mover’s inventory for completeness before signing. Search the entire house before movers leave. Confirm directions, name of driver and new numbers of destination.
- Keep copies of all transactions for income tax purposes, including lodging, transportation, meals and gas.
- Load up items including luggage and valuables before movers leave.
- Plan to arrive at destination prior to movers. Verify if there are additional charges applied if the movers arrive first.
- Check all appliances for working condition. Call repair service if needed.
- Check with the post office for any mail being held.
- Review all boxes being unloaded by movers on inventory list. Make a note of any damage for insurance purposes.
- You’re all done! Breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy your new home!