Into The Kitchen With Pete
|Posted on November 6, 2019 at 8:50 PM|
Classic Royal Icing
Yield: Approximately 5 cups of icing
o 2 Pounds Confectioner's Sugar
o 5 Tablespoons Meringue Powder
o 2-3 Teaspoons Oil-Free Extract
o 1/2-3/4 Cups Warm Water
1. In a mixing bowl, gently mix the sugar and meringue powder.
2. With the mixer on its lowest setting slowly add the flavoring and ½ the water to the dry ingredients. As the water is added, the icing will become thick and lumpy.
3. Continue to add the remaining water (this may or may not be the entire amount) until the mixture reaches a thick, honey-like consistency. At this point, turn the mixer to medium speed and whip 2-4 minutes until the icing is thick and fluffy. Mixing time can vary greatly so watch carefully and stop mixing when the icing is thick enough to form a soft peak.
Pete’s Sweets Gingerbread House Dough
o 2 Cups Sugar
o 2 Cup Shortening
o 2 Cups Molasses
o 4 Eggs
o 4 Tablespoons White Vinegar
o 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
o 4 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
o 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
o 2 Teaspoons Salt
o 2 Teaspoons Ground Clove
o ½ Teaspoon Allspice
o 10 Cups All Purpose Flour
1. In a mixing bowl combined sugar and shortening. Beat until creamy.
2. Slowly add the molasses, begin to add the eggs one at a time stopping in-between each addition to scrape down the bowl. Add the vinegar.
3. Sift all the dry ingredients and slowly add to the wet mixture. When the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and gathers on the beaters it is the correct consistency. (Note more flour may be needed to achieve this)
4. Roll the dough between parchment paper and cut shapes with a sharp knife.
5. Bake until the edges of the shapes look lightly golden brown (the dough should no longer appear shiny in any areas)
6. Cool completely before building structures
7. Use royal icing (consistency should be light and fluffy not thinner than the consistence than honey)
8. To decorate use royal icing to attach candies, cookies, and or crackers. Dust with a little powdered sugar to give the look of new fallen snow.
(Right Click Template, Save Image As, Print On An 8.5 X 11 Sheet Of Paper For Best Results)