Ladies Bible Study
"Becoming a Godly Wife"
I. Scriptural References for Series:
18. And the Lord God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.''
19. Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name.
20. So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him.
21. And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place.
22. Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
23. And Adam said: "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.''
24. Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
25. And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
3. the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things
4. that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children,
Marriage is a divine institution, ordained by God, developed by God for us His children.
It is a divine covenant, not to be taken lightly, or entered into frivolously.
It is the divine union of a man and women for the purpose of companionship, to meet both the physical and emotional needs of God's creation, for support both physical, mental but most of all spiritual. It is a shadow of Jesus' relationship with us, the Church, and we need to understand just as that Covenant cannot be broken, so neither should the marriage Covenant.
Woman was created for man, to be a helper comparable to him. That is someone who is different physically, but just as important is God's eyes.
Women were created to be a helper to our husbands, someone suitable to meet his needs and help in his life.
Genesis 2:18-25 (Amplified Bible)
18: Now the Lord God said, It is not good (sufficient, satisfactory) that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper meet (suitable, adapted, complementary) for him.
This same Hebrew Word for helper is used to describe God's relationship with Israel in Psalms.
20. Our soul waits for the Lord; He is our help and our shield.
We were created to be a companion and helper to man. We were not created out of the dust as everything else, but out of man's side, God created man, male and female.
We each have a role and part to plan in God's plan. Women are able to be leaders, in the setting God provides for them, when He calls them to those roles. We are never to put ourselves in a place without the divine leadership of God, the Father. We are not the head or the priest of the family, but we are a very important component of the family unit. We are the other half, it takes both male and female to procreate and this is directly in line with God's Word.
Women are called to be wives, mothers and nurturers, to teach and guide, to support and love. We are called to do whatever the Lord leads us to do and if we are in a marriage relationship, there are very specific things God has outlined for us to do in this role.
This is what this series of lessons, is about, learning what the role of wife is and how to fulfill it.
In this lesson, we are going to look at the most important aspect of your role as wife.
Your relationship with God.
We cannot have any successful relationship of any kind if our relationship with God is not right.
A close relationship with God is Key to every other aspect of our lives.
To accomplish this important first step we need to look at several things.
Your first and most important priority is an intimate, personal relationship with God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 10:9-10: 9. that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10. For with the heart one believes to righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made to salvation.
1 Peter 2:2: as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby,
2 Peter 3:18: but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.
It is clearly a definite command of God that we grow up, learn the deeper things of the Word and let them flow out of our lives.
You must do two things to accomplish this.
Learn and obey. Two very simple statements but difficult to do many time. It is my prayer that as we go through this series each of us will grow in knowledge and learn ways to perform faithfully, put into practice the things the Lord is showing us.
1. Discover: Discover for yourselves God's truth in His Word. You cannot successfully live or walk on what someone else tells you. You must discover if for yourself.
Psalms 119: 105: Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.
2. Discern: You must discern the truths in God's Word and how they apply to you.
What one Scripture says to me in a given situation may not be applied to your heart by the Lord in your situation. You cannot live off my or anyone else's revelations, you have to get into the Word and find it for yourself. And apply it to your life.
James 1:5: If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
3. Do what you discover and discern. There are several ways to study God's Word, you can obtain several good daily devotionals to use a jumping off point. Always expound on them, don't just stop with that. Look up the Scriptures for yourself and pray for wisdom in interpreting them. Or you can take a topic and look up and study the Scriptures found in the concordance for them. Plan on spending time with God each day.
James 1:22: 2. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving
Are you satisfied with your current relationship with God, your level of maturity or spiritual Growth?
Define the areas you find as hindrances in your growth.
(Personal Areas for me):
1. You have to decide what is important. You have to choose if the things of God are really that important in your life.
Deuteronomy. 30:19: "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;
20. "that you may love the Lord your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days; and that you may dwell in the land which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give them.''
Stop right now and jot down your goals. Quickly, don't get all religious about it. Be real.
Now, jot down how you start and end each day. Is God in there anywhere?
2. Look into your heart, what areas do you need to weed out, give up, throw away or
3. Get before the Lord and make a Covenant with Him, to grow a deeper intimate
relationship with Him. Remember that God does not take Covenant relationships lightly.
regularly from that day forth.
In the next lesson, we will complete this lesson. Discuss ways to grow spiritually.
1. Take a week, jot down everything you did, from the time you get up to the time you go to bed, create a timeline of your activities. Don't change your routine until you do this, it will help you see how to redeem your time and what can be changed or cut out of you life to make more time with God.