Building Our History!
A Place to Understand and Enjoy Our Prairie Heritage
Preserving Our County's History
The Montgomery County Historical Society was organized and incorporated in 1945 to preserve and share the county's history.
In the 1980's, the Society was reorganized under the volunteer leadership of H. Lee Honeyman, Carleton Draper, and Edward Wearin. During this time, the Society developed its first historic structures, restoring the Pittsburg School and the Cozad Cabin, which are located in Red Oak on the County Fairgrounds.
In 1995, the Society opened the History Center, a local history museum, education, and research facility. Under the direction of the Society, the History Center has flourished and grown, both in terms of facilities and visitors. In 2006, the Society held the Grand Opening for the present 14,000 square foot building.
Our mission is to kindle and promote an interest in the history and character of Montgomery County, Iowa, and its people by collecting historical artifacts and materials, by preserving those artifacts and materials, and by exhibiting this historical record to the public.