This website is dedicated to the recordation, preservation, and illustration of the Kehillat Israel Synagogue and Hebrew Cemetery in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania. From the late 1800's to the mid 1900's a very large Jewish population inhabited the Schuylkill County area including the cities of Shenandoah, Mahanoy City, and Hazelton. The Jewish population emigrated from Eastern Europe and settled in this area to take advantage of the burgeoning coal mining industries. Presently, the Jewish populous has either passed away or moved to another location. This website is not only dedicated to the memory of the Kehillath Israel Synagogue and Hebrew Cemetery but to the memory of those individuals who personified the town.
Please feel free to browse through the pages and relive a time forgotten in a place little known. Link provide pictures of the individuals, buildings, and tombstones.
THE KEHILLAT ISRAEL CEMETERY IS OWNED BY THE KEHILLAT ISRAEL CONGREGATION - CEMETERY DIVISION
Credit to Jerry Malett, Janice Malett, Dorothy Harris, Emanuel Harris, Bess Harris, Bill Simons (tombstone pictures), Ben Supowitz, Richard Kallan, and those who have assisted with miscellaneous corrections. Comments, corrections, suggestions, and other issues may be directed to the webmaster, Ian Singer at email@example.com
The Webmaster is also serving as a full service Jewish Genealogist. Please contact Ian Singer at 954-829-0430 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information regarding your familial genealogy.