Note: From what I've found, official summary reports during earlier years of the war sometimes left out some details of an attack/incident, but I'm hoping to find more specific data as time goes on.
Example: the MACV summary for the Oct 30th incident said "light damage, light casualties", and "unknown amount" for mortar rounds fired into base-camp. Compare with info below, taken from after-action report.
- Feb 5: Mortar attack, type: 60 & 82mm, 40 rounds, 1 US KIA, 13 WIA (serious),
11 WIA (released back to duty). Light Damage
- Mar 4: Mortar attack, type: unknown; 2 separate events, @ 0130 and 0140;
more than 15 rounds; No damage, light casualties.
- Jun 17: Mortar attack, type: 82mm; more than 80 rounds,
Light damage, no casualties.
- Oct 30: Mortar & Sapper attack. 82mm & RPG, more than 80 rounds; 1 suspect detained;
Moderate damage. Casualties: 1 US KIA, 11 WIA; 2 RVN KIA, 2 WIA.
(To see "After-Action Report", CLICK HERE [PDF File] )
Note: This is likely the "Tar Depot Fire" incident mentioned in photo (Main Photo page),
and described in "I Remember.." page, topic: "Do You Remember..: Base Camp"
To see larger photos of Fire, CLICK Here.
- Nov 11: Mortar attack (symultaneous attack on town of An Khe), type 82mm;
65 rounds; also 75mm R. Rifle; in two hf attacks; light damage, no casualties.
(Note: to see "After-Action Report", CLICK HERE [PDF File] )
- Nov 12: Mortar attack, type: 82mm, 150 rounds; light casualties and damage.