Seaton Junction is not only the name of the abandoned station and defunct junction, but is also the name of the little community which lives around it. Apart from the station itself, there are two footbridges, an overgrown and abandoned platform on the opposite side of the rails, plus derelict factory and office buildings next door to the station. The station platform footbridge is inaccessible, as is the platform and the inside of the station itself, but the second footbridge can be crossed, which is great for looking down on the one existing line which still runs between Exeter and London and the abandoned platforms, etc. There is a public footpath sign on the station side, but once across the bridge and onto the other side, there's no sign of a footpath...just a plantation of young trees and a tangle of ivy, old man's beard vines and brambles. It does afford an overall view of the bridge however, which cannot be seen from the station side.
Originally called Colyton Junction, it was given the name Seaton Junction in 1869, a year after the opening of the Seaton Branch Line. As well as an important part of the holiday traffic for the seaside, the station accommodated Express Dairy Depot next door. A fleet of vans were used to collect the milk from local farms, which was then loaded on to six-wheel tank wagons and sent by rail up to London.
The depot was later used by Axminster Engineering & Mouldings Co, but is now left empty and derelict.
There are two concrete footbridges. The one above connects to the other side of the platform. The one below leads to the public footpath.
From the second bridge can be seen the station platform, the remains of the opposite platform and what used to be the goods yard.
More photos, along with these, can also be seen in the Seaton Junction album in the Gallery.