Built in 1895 as a Territorial Drill Hall, the building consisted of a drill hall on the ground floor, an ante-room and an armoury. Interestingly, the base of the building has the look of a Palmerston Fort about it, which were built during Napoleonic Wars, above photo. In the 1914 edition of the Kelly directory, mention was made of a clock above the entrance. It isn't clear from the entry whether it was situated inside or out, but there was no sign of it on the exterior.
The rear of the building looks very much like an old Devon mill. The building is now empty and boarded up, and there was no access inside, but it made for a nice photographic mooch and access to the walk around the base of the building.
The last inhabitants were the Devon Army Cadet Force. However, the oars in the window and the boat at the rear also show a connection with the sea. The front of the building, below.
Some more photos along with these can also be seen in the Photo Gallery album.