I love this dress. I really, really LOVE this dress. It's so lovely to wear. I felt just so regal and pretty in it!
I did have a slight wardrobe malfunction though. I own two pairs of cream t-strap shoes, and when I was packing for this con, I accidentally packed two right shoes...one from each pair. And I did not discover this until I was trying to put them on my feet. GAH. Luckily, I had my cream Tenth Doctor boots with me, so I wore those instead, and since the skirt was so long, they didn't show...much.
And now, a video of the dress in motion:
Sigh. I just want to wear this dress again. For a first foray into Edwardian dress-making, I think it could hardly have gone any better. Usually I'm at least a little unhappy with *something* about a costume I've made (I can always see room for improvement) but this one...this one feels just right. And that makes me happy!
I have short hair, generally, and when I do have long hair, I'm not one of those girls who can do fabulous updo styles. I'm all thumbs when it comes to hair. So I always use wigs for costumes, whenever possible.
In this case, I couldn't find a wig pre-styled in anything that looked 1912-ish. So I was forced to get a long haired wig, and style my own. I looked at a ton of youtube videos, until I finally found one that seemed easy enough for me, and period-appropriate. This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5JZOVnSjjE&feature=channel&list=UL
I left hair hanging around the face, because I think it will be easier to pin those sections up into place when I'm actually wearing the wig. And I also tied a bit of gold netting around to simulate the Edwardian penchant for headbands.
Now if it will just survive in my luggage! Costume Con in Tempe, here I come!
Well, almost finished. I still need to sew the snaps into the back, and I'm thinking about doing a beaded fringe/tassel on the ends of the hanging trim.
I'm quite pleased with it. I don't have the proper undergarments (and no time to make them right now) so I'm just wearing it with my regular Victorian corset. And since I didn't have time for a lovely princess slip, I just lined it with satin. So, not entirely correct in its undermost layers! This has definitely whetted my appetite for the Edwardian period - I want to make lots more of their gorgeous clothing!
I'll be wearing this to Costume Con in May. Then I'll have pics of me inside it. :)
I'm ALMOST done! Today I got the skirts hemmed, and one half of the chiffon sleeve mostly done...plus some more of the trim hand-sewn down. This is proving to be a more time consuming project than I anticipated...simple because I'm doing a LOT of hand sewing. I like hand sewing, so that's okay...but I do need to get this finished. I need this one done and one other finished before Costume Con in May.
Pictures! It has been a monsoon outside today, so I couldn't pose my dummy outside in the good light and get decent pics for you. Instead, here's a few peeks at what I've done:
The chiffon has been dyed, as you can see, and attached. I ended up going lighter in shade than the inspiration dress, because (while I used the thinnest silk chiffon I could find) it's still obviously heavier than the chiffon the inspiration dress used. In the darker shade, you couldn't see any hint of the cream silk underneath - and I like the semi-transparent look. It's more delicate. I used RIT dye, one teaspoon Fuschia to one fourth teaspoon Tangerine in barely enough water to cover the fabric for the darker shade. For this pale color, I left the fabric in the dye maybe two minutes, and added more water to the container.
The back and train (pre-hem.) I just love how delicate and ethereal it looks!
And a sneak peek at the chiffon sleeve:
You can't tell in the pic, because of the lighting, but the sleeve is a darker shade of chiffon. Not quite as dark as the inspiration dress, but close. It gives a lovely effect when the two colors mingle together in the train!
A day or so of work, and this will be done! I just need to finish the sleeves, sew down a bit more trim, add beaded dangles to the long hanging trim panels, and install the buttons and hooks to the back of the dress.
Here's a pic of the bodice, with front lace insert:
It's lined with a faux shantung, with a faux silk outer - the outer silk is overlaid with gold netting.
Bodice with the trim (mostly) attached. I've been sick with the latest Library Cold the last few days, so it's good I have some hand sewing that needed to be done. I don't have enough energy to tackle the sewing machine....
I'm also working on the long panels of trim that hang down the front and back of the gown. I sewed gold net over more of the faux silk, then hand-sewed the trim down its length. I have the two back panels done; still have to sew together the front ones.
Closeup of the trim with silk and net underlay:
I have about 1/2 of the silk chiffon dyed (enough for the skirt, I still have to dye the sleeve panels a darker rose) and the skirt panels cut and ready to sew. The rest of this gown should go together pretty quickly...if I ever feel up to tackling it! Curse you, workplace germs!!!!
This is an extant dress, from 1912. I'm not going to re-make it *exactly* - for one thing, I'm not doing the embroidery like that - but my dress is going to be very close.
I have the materials, but I need to dye the silk chiffon.
I have been completely obsessed by the story of the Titanic ever since I was a teenager and first heard of it. This is going to be my 100th Anniversary dress.