THINGS TO DO, PLACES TO GO
Doniford is a tiny village of a handful of homes and whilst the Haven site has lots of things to do there are lots of places around West Somerset which make for a great day out. We have left a number of leaflets and brochures in the box near to the telly, please look through these, but here are some other suggestions:
PLACES TO GO:
- WATCHET - Just over a mile away, turn right out of the site and you will soon be there. A small harbour town with a recently developed marina. A number of small shops, pubs, cafes and take-aways.
- KILVE BEACH - A few miles to the east along the A39. This beach is worth a visit for anyone who enjoys looking for or at fossils, you can't miss them!
- DUNSTER - Around 6 miles to the west along the A39. This medieval town is very picturesque, with its Yarn Market and being over-looked by Dunster Castle. The town has a number of small cosy pubs, cafes and tourist shops. The Castle is owned by the National Trust and is open for viewings the majority of the year. A small working mill is also open at the far end of the town.
- DUNSTER BEACH - A little further along the A39 and down a small lane is Dunster Beach, this is a sandy beach where you can drive close to the beach and park up for the day.
- MINEHEAD - The largest town in West Somerset. With a large beach, harbour, lifeboat station, amusement arcades and shopping area it's a bustling seaside town. Minehead also features a couple of large supermarkets which provide more options for stocking up the food cupboard!
- PORLOCK/PORLOCK WEIR - Another few miles along the coast is the small village of Porlock, another mile from there is Porlock Weir with a small harbour, pub and shops.
- LYNTON/LYNOUTH - About an hours drive from Doniford are the towns of Lynton and Lynmouth, famous for the floods of 1952 which killed 34 people. Two pleasant towns which you get to via breath-taking scenery - including Porlock Hill which has a 1 in 4 gradient in places, strong brakes are advised!
- TAUNTON - The county town of Somerset is only 30 minutes drive from Doniford and features all you would expect of such a major town! An out-of-town site has a large Sainsbury's, cinema, 10-pin bowling and places to eat.
THINGS TO DO:
- WEST SOMERSET RAILWAY: This steam railway runs from Minehead in the west to Bishops Lydeard. There is a stop at Doniford, although it's not a scheduled stop so you have to put your hand out and the train will stop for you!! If you'd rather not do that, head to Watchet for the next main station!
- TROPIQUARIA: If you've got kids this is a must visit, on the junction of the A39 from Watchet.
- CINEMA: There is a multi-plex in Taunton. Minehead also has a small cinema within the Butlins complex which you can visit.
PLACES TO EAT & DRINK:
There are so many places to eat and drink locally you could spend all holiday driving around and finding endless quiet pubs in remote locations which serve local ales and good food. The following are all worth a visit in our opinion:
- NOTLEY ARMS - Monksilver: Head into Watchet, then out towards the A39, go across the crossroads by Tropiquaria. A mile or so down this road is a small crossroads, turn left towards Monksilver. You'll now go down small country roads for a few miles. Eventually you'll reach this pub on your right hand side with a small parking area. A quiet country pub that serves fantastic food 12-2 during the day and again later of an evening.
- LUTTRELL ARMS - Dunster: Opposite the Yarn Market this hotel also has a fantastic bar with a huge open fire. If the weather is warm take a walk upstairs to the "Secret Garden" with views to the castle.
- THE HAIRY DOG - Minehead: If you've got kids then visit the Hairy Dog on The Avenue in Minehead, with a huge play area this was recently voted Family Pub Of The Year, leaving yourselves free to eat and drink!
- HOOD ARMS - Kilve: Turn left out of the site and 3 miles along the A39, this pub is in the small village of Kilve. A very warm and welcoming pub. The beer garden in the summer is a great place to sit out and eat, and in the winter the huge log fire makes it a hard place to leave! You'll need to park on the small car park on the right just as you enter the village from our site.
- REEVES - Dunster: This small restaurant is open for lunch and evening meals, a very cosy setting in the centre of the village with outdoor seating for summer months.
- LOCKS TEA ROOMS - Dunster. This small cafe is situated behind a shop, sit outside in the sun, or enjoy the surroundings of the old school room. The home-made cakes are a must!!
- BLUE BALL - Triscombe: An award winning pub is highly recommended, head towards Taunton
Whilst there is a shop on-site that sells many things you will undoubtedly need more provisions for your stay.
- WATCHET - There is a small Co-Op and Londis along with small local shops.
- WILLITON - Again, there is a small Co-Op, County Stores and local shops.
- MINEHEAD - With a Tesco, Morrisons and assorted local stores you'll be able to find all you need.
- TAUNTON - Just about every shop you would need!
If you enjoy any visits to places not listed above please let us know and we will add them to the list for future visitors to enjoy!