|Posted on August 30, 2009 at 12:46 AM|
It's definitely been quite a week up here in the northern country. Thomas is doing well,
and so far is a dream baby. He is eating and sleeping well and doesn't poop every time
we change his diaper anymore. And he sure is cute!
Becca is hopefully getting better now. She had been really grumpy Sunday and
Monday, but we just attributed it to all the change with the new baby and Grandma
leaving. However, she woke up about 2:00 Tuesday morning with a fever of 101.3
degrees. I gave her Tylenol, but couldn't get her to go back to sleep. We called the
doctor that morning, but they told us we didn't need to go in until the fever had lasted
two days or she started showing other symptoms. The Tylenol brought the fever down,
but in between doses the numbers kept getting higher and higher. She still wasn't able
to fall or stay asleep and had napped only about one hour all day. After a thermometer
reading of 102.6, we had a friend from our ward come over to help Daniel give her a
blessing. About 10:30, her temp was up to 103.5, so Daniel took her to the ER while I
stayed home with Thomas.
Daniel and Becca spent two hours in the ER getting her tested and getting her fever
down. She still wasn't showing any other symptoms, so they had trouble knowing
where to start. They diagnosed her with a UTI although the tests were inconclusive.
They are running cultures to confirm the diagnosis. They gave her some antibiotics and
a prescription for us to give her at home.
When they came home, Becca went straight to bed and slept for about an hour before
she woke up pretty much hysterical. I spent the rest of the night trying to calm her
down and holding her while she tried to sleep. She slept from about 4:00-10:00. When
she woke up this morning, I laid her down to change her diaper and she started gagging
and threw up this thick whitish stuff with streaks of blood through it. She did this three
times in 15 minutes, so I called Daniel home from his office and called the doctor. Her
fever was also back and high again. The medical assistant who answered my phone
call said that they would call back after they talked to the doctor, but they didn't call
back until several hours later. When Daniel got home, she threw up again, so we
decided we needed to take her back to the hospital. We got someone to watch Thomas
and headed to the ER for the second time in 13 hours.
According to their scale, she had lost over a pound of fluid since they had weighed her
the night before. Her fever was up to 103.4 again as well. They drew blood, gave her
Tylenol and ibuprofen, ran IV fluids to help with the dehydration, and gave her IV and oral
antibiotics. The labs all came back normal and they still didn't find anything wrong
except the suspected UTI. They said that the vomiting was probably just because she
was so sick and dehydrated. After four hours in the ER, she was feeling much better
and able to drink from a sippy cup without throwing up and was even playing some, so
they sent us home with orders to see our pediatrician on Friday.
So far she is doing pretty well tonight. She napped for 1 1/2 hours when we got home
and ate dinner. Hopefully she will sleep tonight, but so far she is only singing in her
Thanks for all your prayers! We love you all!