LA HISTORIA DEL PUEBLO DE CABATUAN
Cabatuan was a visita of Mambusao as early as 1605. In 1732, a molave cross was planted in the highest peak of the locale. A year later, a town was established in the northern bank of Tiguin(Tigum) River with Fr. Ramon Alquezar as the first Parish Priest and Tan Tono as the first Gobernadorcillo.
The town of Cabatuan was first noted for the Sinulugans or hillside tribesmen who annually practice the art of ‘Sinulog’ or Dance of Death. Tulisanes and Rustlers also inhabit the place. Somehow, Fr. Ramon Alquezar wrestled the odds to convert these pilferers into commendable Christians. Today, Cabatuananons are known to be soft spoken, patriotic and service centered Filipinos.
After the town was established, the population increased rapidly and the construction of the church and the town hall was started. The poblacion of Cabatuan is somewhat larger than Sta. Barbara and agriculture is the town’s basic industry. The river of Tigum is one of the few unpredictable rivers in the island which is sometimes dry but can deluge the country in rainy seasons.
Cabatuan suffered the torments of calamities and war, but it favorably survived these obstacles and continued thriving. In WWII, Cabatuan officially became the last defense of Western Visayas against the Japanese forces. The War left a scar on the town damaging few of it’s colonial edifices into ruins.