AEC MATADOR 59A
A brief history
Originally built for the Royal Navy in 1945.
Crosville Motor Services Ltd. bought the vehicle in 1957.
The overall task of rebuilding to Crosville`s own specification is believed to have taken up to 6 months.
Issued with Fleet No.59 A and in a Tilling green and cream livery the Matador was used for the recovery of Crosville`s buses and coaches after major incidents.
After Crosville became part of the National Bus Company NBC 59A was painted in the company livery of green and white ( c.1971-1972 ).
Finally she was painted yellow and work done to bring her up to new Road Safety Regulations.
In 1986 approx 59 A was registered under Q plates.
She was laid up at Sealand Road Works and thought to have to have moved to Crosville Wales upon deregulation in 1986 when she spent a short spell at Llandudno Junction, eventually ending up at Aberystwyth depot.
She was operated by Paragon Motors of Penygroes near Caernarfon, a quarry company, owned by someone in or around Betws-y-Coed and finally bought by Richard Thorp who moved her to Henley-on-Thames.
59A was 62 years of age on the 26th of April 2007, and we would like to thank all of you who left comments.