Please contact YaleCooks to share practical advice and the recipes you use. More versions will be added as necessary.
Please let YaleCooks know if you have variations or suggestions for improving this recipe!
Google search: rice noodles with shrimp & chicken (click on the three icons to see photos-videos and links to internet recipes)
First added: 2012-12-14; Last edited: 2012-12-23
Meg's "Rice Noodles with Shrimp, Chicken, Mushrooms, & Napa Cabbage".
Author: Meg Gu (Yale ISPY).
This recipe is from a Taiwanese classmate.
This recipe was shared during a YaleCooks potluck dinner (2012-12-12).
Essential Supplies & Ingredients: (makes enough to fill a 9 inch plate)
• 1 wok (or big pot; a cover is not necessary)
• 10 dried shitake mushrooms
• 6 leaves Napa cabbage
• 2 green onions, cut one into 1 inch lengths and mince the second (used separately in steps 3 and 10)
• 10 pieces shrimp, raw-uncooked
• 1 piece chicken breast, boneless
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 teaspoon corn starch
• 1 teaspoon soy sauce
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1 teaspoon liao jiu (Chinese cooking wine), Chardonnay or another white wine can also be used
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
• 1/2 cup chicken broth
• Soaking the Noodles & Mushrooms: (at least 2 hours)
Editor: the dried noodles and dried mushrooms can be soaked all day or overnight. f you forgot to soak the mushrooms simply boil them in water for a few minutes.
1) Soak the dried rice noodles in cold water for at least 2 hours.
2) Soak the dried mushrooms in cold water for at least 2 hours.
• Marinate Chicken: (5 minutes cutting + 15 minutes marinate)
3) Slice chicken and marinate with minced green onion, garlic, salt, corn starch, soy sauce, sesame oil, cooking wine and black pepper.
• Marinate Shrimp: (5 minutes cleaning + 15 minutes marinate)
4) If desired, remove shells from shrimp and discard.
5) If desired, remove dark posterior "nerve-vein".
6) Marinate shrimp with a little bit of salt and cooking wine.
• Preparing the Mushrooms & Vegetables: (at most 5 minutes)
7) Gently squeeze the mushrooms to remove excess water.
8) Cut mushrooms into 1/4 inch wide strips.
9) Cut the cabbage into 1/2 inch wide strips.
• Cooking: (10 minutes)
10) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok (or big pot) and stir fry the mushroom strips and 1 inch long slices of green onion for a half minute. Add sliced cabbage to wok and stir fry the mushroom, green onion, and cabbage mixture for another 2 minutes. Take vegetable mixture out and put on a plate (Editor: or just add the cooked meat to the plate of vegetables).
11) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in wok (or big pot) and stir fry the marinated chicken. When the chicken is almost done, add shrimp to wok and cook for 1 minute. Take cooked chicken and shrimp out and put on a clean plate.
12) Transfer soaked rice noodle to the wok (or big pot) and add chick broth. Cook for 2 minutes. When the chicken broth has almost entirely evaporated, add all ingredients to the noodles and mix well. Add some salt, black pepper or soy sauce according to your taste. Make sure to mix evenly.
Assessment and Possible Improvements:
• Annotated Internet Links:
• Recommended Cookbooks:
comments powered by Disqus