Due to the large number of recipes being submitted for publication on the YaleCooks website it was decided that it was important to get the recipes on the web shortly after they are submitted. We will do the layout, include more photos, add links, and edit when we have more time. We hope you agree with this decision.
Google search: gobi paratha (click on the three icons to see photos-videos and links to internet recipes)
First added: 2013-01-18; Last edited: 2013-12-27
Anjana's "Gobi Paratha" (filled with cauliflower).
Author: Anjana Maheshwari (OISS-ISPY).
Recipe source (eg. grandma) Mother/Mother-in-law Ingredient: 1 1/2 cups Flour(Traditionally we use whole wheat flour but I guess All purpose flour will also work. Never tried though) Water to knead the flour dough 1 - 1 1/2 cup Grated Cauliflower 2 tsp Gramflour(Besan) 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder 1 1/2 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin 1/2 tsp Garam Masala 1/2 tsp Amchur(Dry Mango Powder) 1 tsp Oil Chopped Coriander leaves(optional) Instructions:1. Put the non-stick pan on high flame in gas and add oil
2. Once the oil is little hot add the grated cauliflower and stir for about a minute
3. Add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder and ground cumin powder and stir fry the cauliflower to mix all the spices and cook the cauliflower
4. Add besan after the mixture is cooked so that the cauliflower is tender.(Besan absorbs extra water released as well as helps in binding the mixture
5. Now with constant stirring cook the mixture for about 3-4 more minutes in medium flame until the mixture does not stick to the pan bottom any more and is sticky
6. Now turn the stove off and add amchur and garam masala and mix well
7. Spread the mixture in the pan and allow to cool completely. Add coriander leaves(if used) and mix well
8. While the mixture is cooling prepare the flour dough. For this add water slowly to the flour(approx 1/2 cup water will be needed but it can be more or less as needed). Knead a soft dough.
9. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 10-15 minutes
10. Once the cauliflower mixture is completely cooled and the dough also has been resting for about 10-15 minutes start preparing the parathas
11. To prepare the parathas, divide the dough into 6-7 equal sized balls.(make similar division in the cauliflower filling). Roll the ball into a small flat bread(about 1/3rd of the original size of the bread you want to make.
12. Now keep a portion of the filling on the smaller flat bread which you rolled out. Keep the filling at the centre. Now take all the sides of the roti(flat bread) together and close it to cover the filling completely.
13. While closing make sure you do not preoss the doughtss too hard. Once you close it roughly form a circular ball.
14. With the help of the rolling pin now roll this new filled ball into flat roti. Make sure to use dry flour in between so that the rolling becomes smooth and do not press hard so that the filling does not come out.
15. Similarly prepare all the other parathas. These parathas are now ready to be stir fried.
16. On a hot griddle place one paratha. And reduce the flame to medium.
17. Cook one side lightly(do not cook till brown). Just enough that you see few small black spots and you realize this when you see the paratha getting small bubbles
18. Turn the Paratha and now increase the flame to full. This time cook the other side little more, while applying little oil on the side which was lightly cooked. After a min flip the paratha and let the oil side cook fully while you grease other side with little oil. Once again flip when the other side is fully cooked and cook the newly greased side again.(You may want to adjust the flame if the griddle becomes too hot). After a couple of minutes paratha should be ready
19. Cook all the other parathas in similar way.
20. Serve hot either with a side dish or coriander chutney
comments powered by Disqus