Please contact YaleCooks to share practical advice and the recipes you use. More versions will be added as necessary.
Please let YaleCooks know if you have variations or suggestions for improving this recipe!
Google search: besan ladoo (click on the three icons to see photos-videos and links to internet recipes)
First added: 2012-11-10; Last edited: 2012-12-04
Anajana's "Besan Ladoo" chickpea flour (gluten-free!) cookies.
Author: Anjana Maheshwari (Yale ISPY).
This recipe is from Anjana's mother.
This recipe was prepared and shared during the first YaleCooks organizing meeting (2012-09-21) held in New Haven.
Essential Supplies & Ingredients: (makes enough for ??? balls)
• 1 non-stick pan (Editor's note: a well-seasoned cast-iron pan should also work)
• 2 cups chickpea flour (aka gram flour or besan), weight = ??? g
• 1/2 cup ghee, Indian butter (unsalted butter may be used as a substitute, but the author has never tried); weight = ???
• 1 cup sugar, weight = ??? g
• 10 - 12 almonds optional (roasted)
• 7 - 8 pistachios optional (roasted and shells removed)
• 1/2 teaspoon cardamon powder
• Preparing Besan Ladoo: (40 - 50 minutes)
1) Add ghee (or butter) to pan. l Melt over high heat.
2) Add besan and lower heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, until besan turns golden brown (15 - 20 minutes). Constant stirring will prevent the besan from sticking to the pan and burning.
3) Turn off the heat and allow the besan mixture to cool. After 5 - 7 minutes determine if the mixture is cool enough to be touched with your hands. If too hot, allow to cool for a few more minutes.
4) Add sugar, pieces of nuts, and cardamon powder. Mix, using a spoon.
5) Form cookies (round balls are the traditional shape) using 2 tablespoons of the mixture. Work quickly, because the mixture may not stick together if allowed to cool too much.
Assessment and Possible Improvements:
• Annotated Internet Links:
1) A recipe with small variations: Sanjee V Kapoor recipes
• Recommended Cookbooks:
comments powered by Disqus