Due to the large number of recipes being submitted for publication on the YaleCooks website it was decided that it was important to get the recipes on the web shortly after they are submitted. We will do the layout, include more photos, add links, and edit when we have more time. We hope you agree with this decision.
Google search: gajar sheera, gajrela (click on the three icons to see photos-videos and links to internet recipes)
First added: 2013-01-24; Last edited: 2013-01-31
Anjana's "Carrot Halwa" (gajar sheera, gajrela).
"Profiteroles" Stuffed with Carrot Halwa (covered with a chocolate sauce).
Author: Anjana Maheshwari (OISS-ISPY).
Recipe source (eg. grandma) Mother Memory (eg. Yale connection) Prepared mostly during winters Preparation time (steps & total) 50-60 minutes Ingredient: 3 cups Shredded Carrots 5 cups Whole Milk 1/2 cup Sugar 10-12 Cashews(optional) 7-8 pieces Pistachios(optional) 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder(optional) 10-12 pieces Raisins(optional) 2 tbsp Butter(optional if you using a non-stick pan) Instructions:1. Put the shredded carrots in a non stick pan and switch on the stove(if you are not using non-stick pan you may want to add some butter before adding carrots)
2. Cook the carrots for about 2-3 minutes or until you see slight color change in carrots and smell some good carrot flavor
3. Add in the milk and reduce the flame to medium
4. Cook the carrot in milk for about 30 minutes with occasional stirring
5. After about 30-35 minutes milk might start reducing and now you may need constant stirring
6. Once you see the milk is really little, add in the sugar and cook for another 10-15 minutes
7. Once most of the milk is incorporated and you start getting a good flavor of the cooked halua turn the stove off
8. Your Halua is ready to be served
9. Optionally you can add dry fruits and cardamom powder for more flavor(However I kind of like it without these additional flavors)
comments powered by Disqus