1 february 2018
i will spare you the details, but after a year of hopelessly suffering my quickly degenerating web host i have decided to discontinue our collaboration - and spread the word: freewebs sucks!
which means that with immediate effect captain beefheart electricity will be flashing on at the new address
see you there, you're welcome...
bibliography - books by
bi-annual volumes of new writing
DON VAN VLIET four poems and three drawings
8 pages - 3 drawings - 1 colour drawing - 4 poems
usa 1/1983 paperback
0 941964 05 1
usa 1/1983 cloth conjunctions 0 941964 06 x limited edition
234 pages - 15 x 23 cm
in interviews in the early seventies, don van vliet often confessed that he combined his musical occupations under the pseudonym of captain beefheart with other artistic outlets. two cites from that era are:
* (interviewer:) there was talk of a book of poetry. (don:) 'singing ink', yeah. i'm going to put that out. i'm looking for a backer on that. i want to make sure it gets out and i get some money for it. it's a book of poetry. and there's a novel called 'old fart at play'. i already have it written. the novel is really good. it'll replace tom sawyer. not only that, i've got ten more full-length novels written. i wrote forty pages a day for five years. i could fill your office with the stuff. [circular, usa 310172]
* i have written 10 full length novels, 30 or 40 plays, 15,000 poems and produced 600 paintings. [new musical express, england 120272]
so, as it seemed just a short matter of time, we impatiently waited for all the books he would publish. and waited, waited, and waited.... but ten years after his promise he had brought out seven álbums - but nó book, not even óne page....
in hindsight, the last record he released, 1982's 'ice cream for crow', coincidentally was followed by the first clear signs of a different career in art. although don (at first) didn't really intend to stop with making music, he slowly was drawn into other directions. for example: around that time he was asked to provide some non-musical contributions to 'conjunctions', a rising legend among literary journals.
so, when the third issue of the 'bi-annual volumes of new writing' came out in spring 1983 don van vliet's debut in the world of the book wasn't as spectacular as everyone had expected. he shared the bill with nineteen other people; and though the index mentions 'four poems and three drawings' but doesn't count the colour reproduction on the cover, that still only makes a total of seven and a half page....
all the drawings are 'untitled' and from 1980 (the 'doc at the radar station' period), except the one on the cover which is dated as '1982'. the felt-on-papers inside the book are placed 'opposite' to poems with a title, but there is no relation between them. although the reproductions are almost the size of a whole page (to be precise: 11,5 x 14 cm), they are much smaller than the original sketches, unfortunately.
the DON VAN VLIET section:
poem 1982 HOLLOW SMOKE
and drawing 1980 untitled (1)
poem 1982 POPPLIN' GAS HEARTS
and drawing 1980 untitled (2)
poem 1982 THE SMITH THAT CLEANS OUR STARS
and drawing 1980 untitled (3)
poem 1982 DOPEDINSTUNNEDMIRAGES
and book cover colour drawing 1980 untitled (4)
CONCLUSION: wonderful stuff MY ADVICE: try to get an original copy *
* the note on this contributor goes:
DON VAN VLIET is an avant-garde composer and artist known to many under his alias, captain beefheart. his new album 'ice cream for crow' was just released this fall; a videotape of the title track was included in the museum of modern art's performance video series in september.
* the colour cover drawing was reprinted in the usa 010883 heavy metal 'an old fart at play' feature
* a tiny 4 x 5,5 cm reproduction of the drawing 'untitled (1)' had been previously published in the usa 010181 musician #29 'captain beefheart's iridescent logic' feature
* 8,5 x 10,5 cm reprints of the three black and white drawings, and the poem 'the smith that cleans our stars' were published in the 1996 book pearls before swine ice cream for crows
the other writers:
gustaf sobin - guy davenport - michael heller - toby olson - cid corman - ann lauterbach - robert creeley - michael palmer - gilbert sorrentino - james purdy - robert fitzgerald - nathaniel tarn - coleman dowell - michel deguy - jackson mac low - michael mcclure - anne waldman - dennis tedlock - bradford morrow (also editor) - rené char - cecile abish - theodore enslin
click clack back to the library or return to the power station
captain beefheart electricity
as felt by teejo