Family History


Oh what happened to Kate! I would love to know. Please contact me martis1@hotmail.co.uk KATE BLUNDEN Born: 1851 in Heyshott Father: William Blunden Mother: Martha Bennett Baptism: No baptism recorded Married: 1871 Brighton (Dec q 2b 440) Spouse: James Whitehouse Born: 1849 St pancras Parents: Benjamin & Harriet Whitehouse (Benjamin originally from Wednesbury, a railway carriage fitter) Died: 1882 Brighton Children: Charles James Whitehouse b 1871 Brighton Emma Martha Whitehouse b 1875 Brighton Benjamin Whitehouse b 1878 Brighton Annie Amelia Whitehouse b 1880 Brighton 1871 census: servant to Robert & Eleanor Rolfe, manager to a builder at 51 Hamilton Street, Preston. James a plasterer on railways living with widowed father, employed carriage on the railway, residing Viaduct terrace, Brighton 1876 baptismal register: Residing 18 Viaduct Road. Occupation: labourer 1881 census; 19 Marshalls Row, Brighton. James an iron fitter. Children of Kate & James Whitehouse CHARLES JAMES WHITEHOUSE Born: 1871 Brighton (no record of birth registration) Father: James Whitehouse Mother: Kate Blunden Baptised: 31/5/1876 St Bartholomew Brighton 1891 census: living with aunt Alice Occupation machinist EMMA MARTHA WHITEHOUSE Born: 1875 Brighton Father: James Whitehouse Mother: Kate Blunden Baptised: 31/5/1876 St Bartholomew Brighton 1891 census: Residing in Rottingdean workhouse as Emmie BENJAMIN WHITEHOUSE Born: 1878 Brighton Father: James Whitehouse Mother: Kate Blunden 1891 census: in Rottingdean workhouse ANNIE AMELIA WHITEHOUSE Born: 1880 Brighton Father: James Whitehouse Mother: Kate Blunden Married: 1908 Brighton Spouse: William Maitchell Born: 1877 Brighton Children: Kate Whitehouse born 1905 Brighton Gladys Mitchell born 1908 Brighton Elsie M Mitchell born 1915 Stening district 1891 census: in Rottingdean workhouse. 1893: School information. 1893 she went to work for Mrs Ayling as a nurse maid ďa well behaved girl and industrious and should do wellĒ 1901 census: cook domestic working for William R Johnson coffee house keeper 121 Hanley Rd, Islington 1911 census: Residing 10 Newhaven Street Brighton. Occupation: labourer on railway Kateís early life followed a similar pattern to that of Emily. On the 1871 she too was in service as a single servant toa household. Her employer was Robert W Rolfe aged 40 a manager to a builder. He had been born in Hammersmith and his wife Eleanor 36 in hackney. They had three children, Robert W 12 (born Dulwich), Mabel E 10 (born Dulwich) and Maude S aged 5 born Peckham Rye. Kateís aged was given as 25, maybe she had lied about her age if the family had wished for an older maid. The family were living 51 Hamilton Street, Preston. In 1881 the family were living Marshall Terrace and sharing a house with henry taylor a 56 year old widower born London and his grandchildren Thomas Cottle 16 and harry taylor 12. James was an iron driller in a railway fitter where he would have worked alongside Henry who was a boiler maker in the factory and young Thomas a riveter there. What happened to the Whitehouses between Jamesís death in 1882 and the 1891 census. Elder son Charles was living with his aunt and uncle William and Alice Whitehouse, working as a machinist. Maybe this was in the railway factory where his father had worked. Charles was probably living with his aunt and uncle as he was able to support himself financially. His younger brother and sisters were in the Industrial School at Rottingdean just outside Brighton, another name for a workhouse for children. You canít feel hard on William and Alice. They would have had neither the room to accommodate or money to support three school age children. No family allowances in those days. High on the downland to the north of the village, beyond Woodendean (sic) Farm and Wick farm lay the depressing Warren Farm Industrial School for orphaned and homeless children Fitzherbert School WARREN FARM SCHOOL: Woodingdean, the former school building remains in Warren Road. It was originally erected on twenty acres of Rottingdean parish by the Brighton Board of Guardians as an industrial school for poor children whom it was not considered appropriate to keep in the workhouse with adults. Known as the Warren Farm Industrial Schools, construction commenced in March 1859 to the design of parish surveyor George Maynard, and the building was completed on 1 December 1859 with accommodation for 300 children. However it was only opened 0n 14 August 1862 when the deepest dug well in the world. 1285 was completed to give it water supply. On 14 August 1862 seventy-seven boys and sixty-five girls marched in procession from the Dyke Road workhouse to Warren Farm. In 1878, however, the well was abandoned in favour of the corporation's piped water supply. The boy inmates were taught skills in gardening, tailoring and boot making, etc., while girls were instructed in domestic service. The Warren Farm Industrial Schools continued until the replacement of the workhouse system in 1930 and then continued as a children's home until the early '50s. In 1937 infant and junior schools were also opened in the buildings. After the children left, the buildings were used for miscellaneous purposes including civil defence, the branch library and manufacturing, St John the Baptist Roman Catholic School (later the Fitzherbert R.C. Secondary School ). This last closed in 1987 The four blocks of houses to the east were built in 1911-12 by the guardians and are now used as offices and clinics.