THIS PAGE IS STILL UNDER CONSTRCTION. IF YOU HAVE CORRECTIONS OR ADDITIONS PLEASE E-MAIL Martis1@hotmail.co.uk
Born: 1753 Hambledon
Died: 1837 North Marden
Married: 30 January 1776 Oving Sarah Stone
Richard was baptised 23/9/1753 in St Peter and St Paul Parish Church Hambledon the son of Thomas Lee. An older brother Thomas was baptised there 10/3/1750. On both occasions no mother was given. He was buried North Marden church 28 January 1837 aged 85. Richard married Sarah by licence issued 30.12.1776 and he was described as a 21 yea rold husbandman from Hambledon.
Richard baptised 31/10/1779 North Marden (poss m 6/2/1800 Arundel Elizabeth Blake.aged 23. Bricklayer)
Sarah baptised 18/2/1781 North Marden married 7/11/1803 New Fishbourne George Wrapson)
Harry baptised 29/12/1782 North Marden
Daniel baptised 31/8/1789 North Marden
Hambledon where Richard was born is a small ruralvillage surrounded by fields and woods in Hampshire about 15 miles north of Portsmouth. It is best known as the 'Cradle of Cricket'. It is thought that Hambledon Club, one of the oldest cricket clubs known, was formed about 1750. Hambledon was England's leading cricket club from about 1765 until the formation of MCC (Marylebone Cricket Club) in 1787. The famous Bat and Ball Inn in Hyden Farm Lane, Clanfield is next to the historic cricket ground near Broadhalfpenny Down where the Hambledon club originally played. The inn was run by Richard Nyren, who was also captain of the club.
From the mid-1760s, Hambledon's stature grew till by the late 1770s it was the foremost cricket club inEngland. In spite of its relative remoteness, it had developed into a private club of noblemen and country gentry, for whom one of cricket's attractions was the opportunity it offered for betting. Although some of these occasionally played in matches, professional players were mainly employed. The club produced several famous players including John Small, Thomas Brett, Richard Nyren, David Harris, Tom Taylor, Billy Beldham and Tom Walker. It was also the inspiration for the first significant cricket book: The Cricketers of My Time by John Nyren, the son of Richard Nyren. Richard wouldn’t have played but my well have watched matches, heard and joined in talk about them. Certainly his life would have been affected by the number of vistors.
Eighteenth century Hambledon suffered two fires. One in about 1725 destroyed most of the east side of the High Street. The other in 1788 destroyed the upper part of the church tower but the peal of six bells was saved. Hambledon remained sufficiently prosperous in the 18th century for many of the cottages and houses to be rebuilt or at least refaced in brick, this financed perhaps by Naval Prize Money. At this time there were up to twelve public houses in the village and surrounding area; as many as 20,000 people thronged to the cricket matches at Broad-Halfpenny Down; the stage coach linked with London and hunt balls were held at the George Inn.
North Marden is a tiny village on the spur of the, 7.5 miles northwest ofChichester
It is one of the smallest, out-of-the-way parishes in Sussex. At the end of the 19th century the population was between 20 and 30 inhabitants. It contains 697 acres and measures about ¾ mile from east to west and the same from north to south, except for an elongation at the north-east. The level rises from 350 ft. in the south to nearly 600 ft. in the north. The parish does not, however, stretch to the highest point of the Downs. North Marden village is near the eastern border of the parish. A road from South Harting which later joins the Midhurst-Chichester road in Lavant parish passes through North Marden parish and village from north-west to south-east. At the village, it is joined by another road from Stoughton and East Marden. North Marden Down is in the north-west of the parish, and here are several barrows. The Church of St Mary is now approached through a farmyard, is simple but unusual in the chancel having an apsidal, or semi-circular termination. The elaborate Norman south doorway inCaen stone suggests a date of the middle of the 12th century. The three Norman windows in the apse have been restored, but the jambs and rere-arches are ancient along with the small Norman window at the west end. The Norman sandstone font was provided an octagonal stem base in the 14th century, and parts of the ancient flint walls were repaired in places with 18th century brickwork.
A so-called 'manor of Holt and North Marden' makes its appearance in 1789, when it was conveyed by Charles, Lord Dormer of Wing, and Elizabeth his wife to Jervoise Clarke Jervoise. It is again called a manor in 1834, when held by Sir Samuel Clarke Jervoise, but it seems to be an arbitrary name for a group of estates in this and neighbouring parishes.From: 'North Marden', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 4: The Rape of Chichester (1953), pp. 108-110.
Children:Richard Lee born 1779 North Marden possibly 1800 Elizabeth Blake. S Sarah Lee born 1781 North Marden married 1803 George Wrapson
Harry Lee born 1782 North Marden
Daniel born 1789 died 1839 married 1815 Sarah Hagg