Norfolk Birders

Norfolk Birdwatching and beyond!


1st January

Happy New Year !

Birdwatch magazine have published a three page article that I wrote about birding at  Hickling Broad and Stubb Mill in their January edition. I'm thrilled that they found my piece good enough for publication.

You will notice a slight difference in layout in my future postings as Freewebs have forced a new site builder upon me. It is a completely new way of uploading photos and texts and it will take me a while to learn how to use it!

Please bear with me as I grapple with the new way of manipulating my photos and text.

I hope that you all have a bird-filled year and enjoy birding as much as I do. I have several trips planned this year and am looking forward to adding to my world list! 

With atrocious weather conditions all day I stayed in and caught up with myself after all my travelling. My new year list finished on 16 from the kitchen window!

2nd January

I added a few more to my year list whilst working at Titchwell, my most exciting sightings were two Brambling on the back feeders by the Visitor Centre.

3rd January

John and I watched a Water Rail in the ditch on the West Bank path at Titchwell. Down at the sea it took a while before we saw a flock of fourteen Long-tailed Duck flying towards us. We scanned through the Common Scoter and I spotted a Velvet Scoter in flight. Later we saw a second bird in flight. Red-breasted Mergansers were flying by as Sanderling and Turnstones were scurrying around on the tide line.

Ferruginous Duck
Ferruginous Duck with Mallard

We drove to Holme and walked to the end of Broadwater, where John picked out the Glaucous Gull sitting on the sand in Thornham Harbour. From the NOA hide in the NOA car park we watched the Ferruginous Duck amongst the Mallard and Gadwall.

Later in Thornham Harbour we had more views of the Glaucous Gull as well as a Rock Pipit, Spotted Redshank and a flock of Twite.

4th January

Working in the car park at Titchwell I spotted a Chiffchaff overwintering amongst the woodland. Later a Redwing perched at the top of one of the trees.

6th January.

Working in the shop I was alerted by a visitor that a Lesser Redpoll was at the top of one of the Alder trees. A Song Thrush flew across the path way.

7th January


John picked me up early and along with Stewart Betts and Phil Ethrington we drove to Beeley in Derbyshire. Here we met a few familiar faces and enjoyed watching the Dusky Thrush together. At Ashford in the Water we admired a Dipper which flew under the bridge we were standing on and landed just about within photographic reach. John drove to Beeley Triangle and we were soon watching the Great Grey Shrike which was sitting atop an evergreen Oak. After a fruitless search for Red Grouse we motored on to Rutland Water where at the dam end we enjoyed watching a Surf Scoter amongst many Tufted Ducks. We passed a sitting Red Kite en route. In the north arm we watched two Black-necked Grebes and two Slavonian Grebes. At Market Deeping Lakes we could not locate the reported 5 Long-eared Owls but did enjoy four Goosander present.


                                                  Dusky Thrush

8th January

Phil Harvey, Stewart South, Brian Barret and I formed a team to take part in a winter bird count in a small area of NarVOS. We normally do a bird race at this time of year but due to falling number of teams the committee decided on a different approach to cover the winter count this year. It seemed strange to have such a laid back day but we certainly had a lot of banter and laughs at someone's expense (I shan't mention names). We started at Nar Valley Fisheries (eventually!!!) once we were all assembled adding many common species to our day list. Three Whooper Swan, a pair with one juvenile,were good to see along the the now almost resident Great White Egret. We were disappointed to find that a cover crop that usually holds a big finch flock no longer exists. At Pentney wildfowl numbers were low compared to other years and Phil drove along the track to the back end of Blackborough End Tip. Now that the tip is no longer used the gulls no longer use the lakes as they used to do and we only added Green Woodpecker and Common Snipe here. Shoveler was added at Tottenhill. Time was against us and after quick visits to Boal Quay we added the Peregrine to our list on the Silo in the docks before watching a perched Hen Harrier at Roydon Common plus the usual Stonechat and Woodcock.

We joined the other NarVOS members at Knight's Hill for a joint checklist before enjoying a fabulous meal together at Fincham along with a few other NarVOS members who joined us for the evening. Thanks to Phil for organising us and driving unexpectedly for the day!!!

10th January

After getting stuck behind two sugarbeet lorries I decided to spend a short while at Flitcham where after a short wait I saw two Sparrowhawks lurking in the hedgeline waiting for the numerous birds feeding in the cover crop by the cowshed. Eventually I spotted a Tree Sparrow, one Brambling and two Grey Partridge as well as at least 50 Chaffinch. As I headed up the road towards Anmer A Red Kite flew over the car.

I motored onto Holkham where the Shore Lark were performing well.

                                             Shore Lark

                                                                             Shore Lark

At Cley I walked the East Bank keeping an eye out for the reported Water Pipit which none of us saw! A red-head Smew came swimming out of a channel at the end of the Serpentine and eventually hauled itself out onto the bank.  There were many Golden Plover in attendance as well as geese flying over the Eye Field. We checked through the geese but failed to find any Tundra Bean Geese amongst the mixed flock of Pink-footed Geese and Brent Geese present. A few Ruff were feeding in the Eye Field. Down at Salthouse John quickly showed me where the Glaucous Gull was and I admired a flock of Snow Bunting on the seabank as I approached the end of Gramborough Hill.


                                    Snow Bunting

                                             Glaucous Gull                 

                                               Glaucous Gull

At Aylmerton Stewart spotted one of the Hawfinches present opposite a Trevor William's garden. Trevor invited us into his house for tea and cakes. John, Stewart and I really enjoyed birding and tea and cakes! Thank you Trevor! We watched two more Hawfinches before we left. I drove onto Sheringham where I soon located two Purple Sandpipers below the Funky Mackerel cafe but not before admiring the Turnstones running around the promenade.

                                              Purple Sandpiper


As I sit writing this this evening I am sat listening to a Tawny owl calling in the garden whilst a Tortoiseshell  Butterfly flies around me! I guess it has been disturbed from hibernation somewhere!

12th January

 At Choseley I found a few Corn Buntings with a flock of Yellowhammers. A Marsh Harrier flew over the fields nearby.



                                         Corn Bunting 

15th January

On my drive down to my Grandson's Christening I watched a Barn Owl in the headlights as I approached Newmarket.

16th January

A Merlin was sat on the hedge near Titchwell on my drive to work.

17th January

I met up with John on the industrial estate in Thetford where the Iceland Gull soon put in an appearence amongst the gulls all sat on a rooftop overlooking a food waste processing unit. After watching for sometime a Glaucous Gull flew in and landed on the same rooftop. Two different Caspian Gulls appeared and I was glad of some expertise on the subject as the various plumage details were discussed!

                                       Glaucous Gull

Later at Flitcham I watched the usual Little Owl sat in its usual spot on the fallen tree in front of the hide.

                                                  Iceland Gull       

                                               Little Owl

18th January

Arriving early at work I walked down the West Bank at Titchwell just in time to see a Kingfisher fly alongside Thornham Pool.

19th January

John and I walked down the West Bank path at Titchwell in the misty conditions wondering whether we had made the right choice of venue. A lone Spotted Redshank stood all forlorn at the edge of the freshmarsh as we made our way down to the sea. Once there it was certainly foggy and we could not see the horizon. However within minutes of setting up our scopes I had located a Great Crested Grebe with a Red-necked Grebe alongside it. John picked up a Black-throated Diver and we were treated to good views of it on the flat-calm sea. A Red-throated Diver was relatively close in as it swallowed a fish. We admired a Guillemot and the huge flock of Common Scoter. John then located a Great Northern Diver but try as I might I could not see it. I found four Long-tailed Duck and a Razorbill and after numerous attempts eventually located the Great Northern Diver. Goldeneye were flying around as were a small flock of Wigeon. A lone Eider Duck was lurking near the Brancaster end of the beach as Bar-tailed Godwit and Oystercatcher were feeding along the tide edge. We walked back up to Thornham pool where along with two Meadow Pipit I located a Water Pipit.

                           Spotted Redshank

At Creake Abbey we admired 291 White-fronted Geese. Towards Docking I watched a Barn Owl flying along a hedgeline before stopping off at Wolferton where the Golden Pheasant was wandering around.


21st January

John and I started out at Buckenham where after searching the Pink-footed Goose flock we located a Tundra Bean Goose, not what we were expecting! A small flock of Wigeon were unconcerned in the ditch in front of us as we kept up our search for the six Taiga Ben geese that were still left at this site. John shifted position as we were not having much luck. After a while John gave a shout as six Taiga Bean Geese appeared out of one of the ditches.We moved on to the station platform to gain some height for better views.

We stopped at Clippesby and I shouted to John as two Common Cranes flew over my head calling joining six others. we pulled into a layby, joining Marcus Nash and together we enjoyed good views of Four Common Cranes feeding in the marshes below us. Moving on, I drove to Mautby where we watched a Hooded Crow in some pig fields as well as watching two Mediterranean Gulls amongst the Black-headed Gulls.

Our next stop was Burgh Castle where John picked out a Rough-legged Buzzard sitting on the ground. We were treated to excellent views of it, albeit distant, as it flew and hovered in front of us. A Barn Owl flew along the reed edge as I picked out three Short-eared Owls quartering the ground. A Common Buzzard sat on a fence post as I listened to Bearded Tit just below us. A Sparrowhawk zipped through sending the nearby Long-tailed Tits into a dither.

                           Common Cranes          

                       Rough-legged Buzzard

24th January

Starting at Wells John, Stewart and I admired one of my favourite birds, a Lapwing showing off its colours in the morning sun. A Little Egret came to join it.


                                                        Little Egret

Next I had a quick walk in Holkham Park to add a few woodland species to my yearlist whilst John and Sewart went off in search of Shore Lark, which they failed to find.  I admired the Red Deer in the park in the mist.

                                             Red Deer Stag         

                                  Water Rail

Later at Titchwell we admired all the wonderful duck on the sea. Velvet Scoter were in abundance along with Common Scoter and the Long-tailed Ducks were just stunning. A Scaup was fraternising with a female Common Scoter! A Water Pipit was skating on the ice as a Water Rail was also having fun!

24th January

A quick stop at Heacham produced a Kingfisher and a Mandarin Duck

                                                  Mandarin Duck


27th January

Working at Titchwell gives me good opportunities to year tick some good birds. Today I watched a Mealy (Common) Redpoll amongst the Goldfinches on the Fen Trail. This will be the last time I shall year tick Mealy Redpoll as next year BOU will follow IOC rules and Lesser and Common Redpoll will be lumped into one species. I then made my way quickly down to Thornham Pool where the Jack Snipe was bobbimg up and down in the drainage ditch running along side the pool. It was good to see an often difficult to find species easily without too much effort well.

It was also good to see Penny Clark who came into the Visitor Centre for a 'catch-up' chat. I wished her Happy Birthday and hoped that she would have a good evening.

29th January

After watching hundreds of Fieldfare at Thornham I joined Les and Anne by Patsy's Pool at Titchwell and watched four Red-crested Pochard preening on the water. We didn't have to wait too long before the Bittern flew out of the reedbed and landed back in again nearby. I walked down the main path where a Water Pipit was on Thornham Pool and a Water Rail was along the new cut channel in the reedbed.  The almost resident female Kingfisher put on a good show for us catching small fish down by the side of West Bank path.

                                                         Red Crested Pochard


Later I joined Malcolm Almey and Neil Bostock at Holme and together we watched the possible eastern race Lesser Whitethroat in the bushes near the golf course on the beach.

Lesser Whitethroat (possible eastern race)

30th January

John and I had a wander in The Brecks today and met up with Norman Sills who explained all about the Cranes in East Anglia to us. Very enlightening! We wandered around Lynford Arboretum in the hope of seeing Crossbill without success but enjoyed many common woodland species, including Brambling, Goldcrest, Marsh Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit etc.

At Ickbugh we managed to find three Crossbill after a wander down one of the many rides.

Common Crosbill

Common Crossbill


2nd February

Today at Titchwell Marsh RSPB, staff and volunteers were given the opportunity of a walk into the reedbed along with warden Paul Eele to have a look at how the next Titchwell project is going to be done. There are exciting times ahead if funding can be secured for new reedbed areas to be created that would better serve our wildlife and add to the diversity of the site. New visitor access is also being planned along with the possibilty of a new hide overlooking much of the area. We all had a wonderful time and enjoyed Paul's explanation as we admired his enthusiasm for the future of Titchwell. Liz Appleton, our manager for North West Norfolk sites, kept us all in order and is being kept busy trying along with other staff in gaining funding as well as much of the 'behind the scenes work' with various permissions that are necessary.

Part of Titchwell reedbed that the public do not see!

A hidden pool in the Titchwell Reedbed

A hidden dyke at Titchwell

Another hidden pool at Titchwell

5th February

As I woke up it looked a bit murky outside and so I delayed the start of my day's birding. However by mid-morning the skies looked a bit brighter and so I made my way to Swaffham Forest where I joined Paul Varney and we settled in for raptor watching. We were soon watching a male Goshawk over to our left which was soon joined by a female bird. They were interacting together as we watched. The sun appeared and 5 Common Buzzards swirled around high up. The Goshawk disappeared whilst a Sparrowhawk flew across the tops of the trees. Another immature Goshawk appeared before we noted 3 Red Kites in the air together along with three more Common Buzzards. Soon after we were treated to a wonderful wing-clapping display from a male Goshawk who put on an amazing courtship performance. Its apparent slow deep wing beats kept us enthralled as it kept up its territorial display above the trees. For a while we had a backdrop sound of a Woodlark singing.

At Narford three Great Spotted Woodpeckers kept me amused as it was obvious that two males were arguing over a female in the same tree!

11th February

 I ventured out today in the freezing gloom of an English February day and made my way to the Tesco car park in Hunstanton where six Waxwings had been seen yesterday. At first I was unsure of where to look but soon found them sitting in the Poplar trees overlooking the petrol station. I only had my little bridge camera with me and cursed as I could not fathom out how to alter the ISO settings. It was much too gloomy for the settings that the camera was insisting on using! My DSLR is so much easier to change the ISO settings. People were using the footpath and so the Waxwings were always being pushed off the Rosehips that they were feeding on.


                                                           Black Redstart

My next target was the Black Redstart at Wells. This bird has eluded me before and I was less than happy to be told the news when I arrived that it had been seen a few minutes before but had now flown off. How often had I heard that? Luckily a chap arrived and told me to stay put, as he had just seen it and it was flying my way. Two minutes later he was right and the bird posed beautifully but I was still struggling with my little bridge camera and its ISO setting. The weather was just so gloomy. As I was stood next to a photographer with a 600mm Canon lens who announced he was using 1600 ISO I didn't think I had a chance with the settings my camera was using, Note to self ;- find the instruction book when I get home!! 

12th February

Looking out of the window did not inspire me to do any birding at all today as a few scattered snowflakes were falling and the skies were grey and gloomy. However I had been following the Twitter feed yesterday on a possible Bluethroat in Lincolnshire that wasn't far from my old stamping grounds where I used to birdwatch in Lincolnshire. A Spring male is a very attractive bird so I set the Google maps on my phone and set off. Arriving in West Pinchbeck I was soon having doubts on the route I had taken along a small minor road with an 'Unsuitable for Motors' sign half way along it. Luckily for me I wasn't the only soul that arrived at a closed gate with little room to park except on a very muddy verge. The two of us found a map of Willow Tree Fen in a barn, acting as a Visitor Centre but we were less than sure where to go until we met a runner who told us about where other birders had gathered. Yes you guessed it, we had come in the wrong entrance! Never mind we soon had an advantage as the Bluethroat hopped its way towards us along the track as the other birders stood watching its back from the other side. How I wished that I had brought my DSLR with me once again but I am determined that I will master the bridge camera!



14th February

I drive to Norwich to catch my flight to Amsterdam, where I have a long day ahead as I will then fly to Tokyo, Japan overnight.

15th February 

I take a flight from Tokyo to Okinawa island which is in the Pacific roughly half way between Japan and Taiwan.

16th February

As I intend to do a trip report I will keep this brief. Okinawa is a tropical island and I soon found myself too hot in the clothing that I had brought!

Pyer's (Okinawa) Woodpecker

One of the endemics to Okinawa, I was pleased to see this bird as it is an endangered species in a very restricted area.

17th February

Arriving just after dark I was pleased to see another speciality to the Ryukyu Islands, the Ryukyu Robin. As the photo was taken in almost pitch dark down a highly vegetated trail I was rather pleased how it came out!

Ryukyu Robin

18th February

Back in Tokyo, it had been many years since I had seen Black-faced Spoonbills. They are critically endangered and it brought memories flooding back to my time in Mai Po in the 90s when I saw them last.

Black-faced Spoonbills (and Grey Heron)

I boarded a ferry bound for Miyakejima , a small island that needed an overnight crossing out into the Pacific, but that wasn't quite what happened!!! (You will have to wait for the trip report to see!!)

19th February

I am all alone on Hachijojima island and in search of an endemic to these small Pacific Islands. I have only a limited time to find it.......yikes!!!

Izu Thrush

And here it is! The star bird. However time and the weather was against me and try as I might I failed to find the split Owston's Varied Tit. I cursed the now heavy rain as my brolly came out and a waiting boat that would sail without me if I failed to show up in time!

20th February

Today four of us caught the Bullet Train to Negano and taxied it to Jigokudani monkey park where Japanese Macaques swim in the hot spring waters of the volcanic mountains. Unfortunately it poured with rain and the snow and ice underfoot made walking conditions very difficult along the track. However the macaques were there and watching them in the hot water made many of us wish we could joim them!

Japanese Macaque (Snow Monkey)

21st February

Another flight today as I flew to Hokkaido along with Gunnar, Marcel and Michael. Deep snow greeted us as did the cold! Thank goodness I had brought extra jumpers as I was going to need them! We drove to the Red-crowned Crane Centre where blue skies made for wonderful viewing conditions.

Red-crowned Crane

22nd February

After spending a short time at the bridge where the cranes roost we drove to Kintappu for a spell of seawatching. Although the wind was a bit of a fight we managed to see several alcids that were new to me.

Sue with no feet at Kiritappu.

We were all delighted with our seawatching ticks and drove to Washi no Yado where there is a set-up for seeing Blakiston's Fish Owl. We joined lots of photographers from all around the world and after a wonderful Japanese meal we settled in for a very cold long night!

23rd February

It was one of the coldest nights that I have known for waiting for a bird to show up. We were led to believe that the bird would probably show up between 10pm and midnight or not at all. A bit risky as we only had one night here. By 4am we had almost thrown in the towel as lots of others had done that had started the vigil with us. Now there were only a few hardy souls left. I saw no point giving up now as we had already lost our night's sleep. Only an hour of darkness left to go. It was now minus ten degrees and I had every available jumper on that I had brought along with thick tights underneath my ski trousers. Another 30 minutes passed by and hope was fading fast. All of a sudden the Blakiston's Fish Owl flew into a nearby tree. It was HUGE ! The few of us that remained grabbed our cameras and hoped for the best. I did not have a tripod for my camera and rested my camera on a window ledge. At 1/80 second setting for my shutter speed, I did not hold out for much hope for a photo but was advised that this was the best setting against the lighting that was being used to light up the small fish pond. I clicked away and am delighted at the images that I have obtained of this iconic owl. What a bird! After eleven hours staring at the same small little pond through the night at minus ten I think we all deserved the tick!

Blakiston's Fish Owl (a well deserved tick!)

Steller's Sea Eagle

Steller's Sea Eagle

24th February

We stayed in a birding lodge overnight where we had had a wonderful Japanese meal. I will miss all the sushi I have had this holiday...fabulous food! in the morning we watched the busy bird table in the deep snow before leaving for Nemuro where I made a very poor I bitterly regret. My own fault! Hindsight is a wonderful thing! I spent the time in Nemuro watching Black Scoter, Scaup, Long-tailed Duck, Slaty-backed Gull, Glaucous Gull before sitting in a massage chair for an hour in order to warm up with a cup of Green tea!

Brown-eared Bulbul

28th February

I seem to have a very hectic schedule this year and although I only got to bed at 1am, I have an appointment in Oxford to get to and saw six Red Kites in the Peterborough/ Oundle/Thrapston area. I somehow managed to miss the whole early evening as I was so jet-lagged!

1st March

I saw two Common Buzzards and a Red Kite near Oundle on my way home and two Common Buzzards were soaring over Roydon Common.

7th March

After an early meeting at the Snettisham RSPB office I made my way to New Holkham where after a bit of a wait watching Common Buzzards, a Red Kite and a few Lapwing , Pete, Anna, Paul and myself listened to the Spring singing of Skylark. A Yellowhammer sat in a hedgeline as Anna kindly offered me a sandwich. We all knew this would mean that the harrier would put in an appearance whilst our hands were all busy! Sure enough a male Marsh Harrier appeared and a few minutes later it was in a tangle with another harrier. The orange that almost sparkled at us in the sunlight meant that it had to be the Pallid Harrier and sure enough it was! The birds were distant and I knew that I would struggle with a phonescope image. But never mind, better than nothing to get the idea!

Pallid Harrier

Pallid Harrier

Grey Wagtail

13th March

Starting at Santon Downham with friends we walked down the river and admired two Mandarin Duck and didn't wait too long before we were watching the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker flying from tree to tree in the Poplar tree area. Even more trees had come down in the recent storms. A lone Crossbill sat up at the top of a tree across the other side of the river. We enjoyed watching a Grey Wagtail sitting on a fallen tree as well as several Siskin calling above our heads. We moved to Grimes Graves where although we heard Wood Lark we did not see any.

At Lakenheath RSPB we walked up to the riverbank where Kathryn and Gwyn pointed out the pair of Garganey sitting on the otherside of Holkwold washes. It was very pleasant sitting on the seat along with friends, eating our lunch admiring all the birds on view. There were many Shoveler, Mallard, Tufted Duck on the water as a Stonechat sat on a dead twig in the grassy strip in front of us. A Little Egret flew along the river before landing on the bank. We watched Common Buzzards and many corvids spiralling over the trees.

 At Cressingham did not see the Stone Curlew that were present on Sunday but one of my friends had seen three there this morning. There were many hundreds of corvids in the air as we watched at least seven Common Buzzards and another raptor pass through.

At another location we watched a Goshawk and yet more displaying Common Buzzards.

I have now finished my trip report to Japan but it will take sometime to upload to my trip reports page. As Freewebs now have a new system for uploading material I am still getting to grips with and because my diary is so hectic at the moment it may take a while! (How I wish there were more hours in the day!)

14th March

There were hundreds of Redwings flying west over the car park at Titchwell as I arrived at work this morning.

15th March

There was quite a passage of Common Buzzards over Titchwell car park as I was working. It was a beautiful day and most birds were flying really high up. A Red Kite joined in at one point.

I am still up loading my trip report to Japan on my trip reports page, but I have got to the Steller's Sea Eagles now!!!

21st March

A walk on Roydon Common and Grimston Warren was much breezier than I expected. I left the car and got distracted by the call of a Mediterranean Gull calling above my head. it did not take long for me to see it. I pointed it out to my companion. A little further on I saw a pair of Stonechat before watching 5 Meadow Pipits land on the model airplane field. A carried on and another pair of Stonechat were near the gate before I went on up the hill. I watched the nesting Lapwing before making my way to Grimston Warren. A Wood Lark sat on a tree stump and sang to me whilst yet anorther pair of Stonechat sat closely together watching my every move. Skylark were singing above my head as I walked back towards the Common. When I reached my car a lone male Stonechat sat in the field.

22nd March

I have now finished my trip report to Japan which can be seen on my trip reports page or at :

As I was working in the Titchwell car park, I watched seven Common Crane flying over today.

Seven Common Crane over Titchwell car park

Common Crane

23rd March

At lunch-time at Titchwell I walked down the main footpath and watched two Little Ringed Plover running around Thornham pool. Chiffchaff were singing in the woodland area and Cetti's Warbler were singing in the reedbed as I made my way back to the shop.

28th March

John Geeson and I started early at Titchwell where we were surprised to only find one birder along the Meadow Trail. We decided to space ourselves out to give us the greatest chance of finding the Red-flanked Bluetail that had been present since Saturday morning.  It wasn't long before I turned around to look behind me that a bird caught my eye that had a quivering tail. It had to be the bird but it was very obscured. A few seconds later it flew a short distance and I realised that I was indeed looking at a Red-flanked Bluetail. I called to John who came running along the board walk. Getting a photograph was quite a different matter with all the bare branches in the way and the heavy mist. With a little patience I managed a few shots as it flew across the boardwalk before disappearing once again.

John and I walked to the boardwalk platform and admired a Cetti's Warbler and a pair of Bullfinch along the way.

Red-flanked Bluetail

Cetti's Warbler


29th March

After a long day of stocktaking at work the staff and volunteers at Titchwell, all headed for Hunstanton for a well-earned meal and quiz. On the way Sally and I pulled over by the cliffs for a short while to watch the Fulmars circling around the clifftops.

2nd April

John and I walked the length of Snettisham Country Park and on to Heacham. Adding migrants to our year lists was hard work even though it was a beautiful day. Several Willow Warblers were calling in the scrub as well as lots of Chiffchaff. We watched as they caught flies before moving on. We admired a few Stonechat but it was not until the green hut at Heacham that we added our next year tick in the shape of two Northern Wheatear. We watched a Common Buzzard over Ken Hill wood as well as a Marsh Harrier that was circling over the marsh. Walking back along the inner seabank we saw very little except a flock of Curlew, Shoveler, Greylag Geese as well as Canada Geese. We wandered into the scrub and eventually saw a Blackcap that was singing.

Nar Valley was equally hard work with the exception of Chiffchaff and Blackcap. It was a beautiful day and we did better for butterflies, seeing Brimstone, Speckled Wood, Orange Tip, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell in Bilney Woods.

                               Northern Wgeatear



4th April

Meeting up with a few friends, I watched the Green-winged Teal in one of the dykes at Burnham Norton before it flew to one of the pools where a Little Ringed Plover was standing. Along another bank we watched a pair of Garganey.

                                    Green-winged Teal


5th April

It was a beautiful evening and so Sally and I decided to go for a walk after work on the reserve. Many of our visitors to Titchwell had told us throughout the day how well the Bearded Tits had been showing and so we decided to go and have a look too. They were right! Sally and I watched as a female Bearded Tit climbed up the reed stem by the West Bank path and we admired it in the evening sun. We walked on down to the Parrinder Hide where I counted at least 12 Mediterranean Gulls on the Freshmarsh. We helped four visitors identify various birds and they were thrilled to have some help as they were desperate to see the Mediterranean Gulls. Sally and I are so lucky to work at such a wonderful reserve.

6th April

My plans for the day were quickly altered when I realised what a beautiful day it was going to be, so after a quick bit of shopping I went to Derby Fen to see what migrants had arrived in the scrub bushes. a Willow Warbler was singing its heart out but it was not keen to have its photo taken as it moved from bush  to bush. Several Chiffchaff were singing too but there were no other warblers singing. I wandered over to Leziate Fen where I saw two Common Snipe before making my way back home to hang out the washing. I tackled some gardening before deciding to wander along to West Newton where I watched a Grey Wagtail catching insects at the mill. Two Swallow flew over the mill and a Mistle Thrush scoured the ground looking for food. On the pool four male Mallard would not leave the poor female Mallard alone before she had had enough and flew off.  A Buzzard flew over the A148.

                                     Willow Warbler

8th April

A Red Kite sailed over me as I was working in Titchwell car park.

                                                            Grey Wagtail


Red Kite

9th April

John and I wandered around Burnham Norton on a beautiful day hoping to see the Green-winged Teal again, but had to settle for watching several Marsh Harrier flying around the reed bed. Willow Warblers were singing as were Cetti's Warblers as we enjoyed our walk. We drove on to Kelling Heath where we had good views of Dartford Warblers posing in the sun. They were joined by Stonechats also posing on top of the gorse. After admiring the steam trains we watched an Adder slither across the path.

At Beeston bump, after admiring Swallows and Blackcaps, John and I enjoyed a cup of tea offered by Giles and Judy Dunmore who have a wonderful view across the valley from their patio. As we sat in the sun seven Common Crane flew across calling as they went! we could have sat there for the rest of the day but John was keen to return to Burnham Norton where the Green-winged Teal was now showing. It didn't take us long to locate it in one of the pools by the pathway. We finished the day with a scrumptious evening meal in a local pub.

                                                  Dartford Warbler

                                                    Dartford Warbler


Green-winged Teal

Northern Wheatear

Mute Swan

11th April

With my companion we walked across Roydon Common where a lone Sand Martin flew overhead. I counted 11 Wheatear in total scattered across the common in areas of grass. Whilst we were admiring the displaying Lapwing a Stonechat came and perched on the fence in front of us. We carried on down to The Delft where we saw 1 Jack Snipe and 10 Common Snipe but no other waders at all.

13th April

A Whimbrel was sitting in the long grass on Roydon Common. I walked a little further to listen to a Woodlark that was singing high above me until it descended onto the ground in front of me.



14th April

A Whimbrel flew over the car park at Titchwell today.

16th April

Jill and I walked from Snettisham village, through Ken Hill woods, across the fields and down though the Country Park to the beach. It was a glorious day, not at all like the forecast had predicted. A Cuckoo called as we crossed the field and it didn't take us too long before we saw it flying. Sedge Warblers were singing from the Hawthorn bushes and a Common Whitethroat flew up and caught an insect a bit further on. We were surprised at the lack of hirundines still.

18th April

John, Sally and I started at Snettisham and immediately had a Lesser Whitethroat singing in the hedge as we got out of the car. A lone Swallow flew over the horse paddock as we walked to the Country Park where a Cuckoo was calling. Cetti’s Warblers, Willow Warblers were singing as we stopped to watch a Sedge Warbler. We walked through to Heacham where there was a Wheatear running around the grass near the tin hut. A Common Whitethroat was observed before we stopped to enjoy a cup of tea and Eccles cakes in the cafe at Heacham. We decided to walk the inner seabank back. Near one of the pools we counted seven Whimbrel and four Curlew feeding in the grass and admired a Summer-plumaged Black-tailed Godwit along with a couple of other Black-tailed Godwit. A Common Redshank was also in the pool.

Once we were back in the Snettisham end of the park we stopped to take photos of  a Cuckoo sat in a bush. A little futher we stopped again to listen to a Grasshopper Warbler reeling before we saw it sitting quietly in a small hole in the Hawthorn bush. On the pools on the field-side of the bank, Shoveler, Shelduck, Teal, Mallard and Tufted Duck were all present as was a Little Egret. Another Cuckoo was spotted in the field just before we left the bank. Back at the car we admired the Lesser Whitethroat whilst we listened to a Blackcap singing.

We enjoyed a leisurely lunch at home before setting out to Roydon Common where a pair of Stonechat kept us entertained as we watched a strange pairing of a Mistle Thrush and a Fieldfare that were keeping each other company. They were still together several hours later when we returned. A Kestrel hovered overhead as we watched Northern Wheatear pose for us. Down at The Delft we saw ten Common Snipe before watching a lone Whimbrel in the model aeroplane field.

Northern Wheatear

19th April

Turtle Dove

A Turtle Dove was waiting for me as I drove into the car park for work this morning at RSPB Titchwell Marsh.

20th April

I started my day at Nar Valley Fisheries where the NarVOS group were meeting to repair the tern rafts. A Cuckoo flew over the track as I was making my way up to the lakes where they were meeting. Mick East , Paul Wilton and Jon Hall were busy fishing for the old rafts and managed to repair them. Alan, Stewart and Ian took to the dinghy and made their way out to the now half-submerged raft assessing what to do.

      Alan wondering if they are still afloat

            Smiling with relief!

              ' Come on Ian, the tide's coming in' !

             Paul and Mick fishing for a raft

          Jon assessing the damage

                     Jon making repairs

22nd April

I enjoyed a walk before work on Roydon Common where a Blackcap was  singing its heart out in the gorse bushes as I walked up to the ridge. A Whimbrel called as I walked up the hill from the model aeroplane field. I could see a Ring Ouzel on the ridge. When I was closer I could see that there were infact two Ring Ouzels present. However they weren't keen to have their photos taken.

Ring Ouzel

During the afternoon at Titchwell one of our volunteers radioed the centre to say that there was a Black Tern present on the Freshmarsh. It wasn't long before we all had the bird on our yearlists!

23rd April

After a few short visits to other sites I stopped at Hilborough where I joined a worker from the estate. I expressed a few concerns and he phoned the farm where he gained me some information. Sorted!  A lone Stone Curlew ran into view whilst we were talking. Baz and Phil turned up and we enjoyed good views of the Stone Curlew and watched Tree Sparrows flying from the hedge.

I motored on and stopped en-route to Lakenheath where I only had to walk a few yards to watch two Tree Pipits singing away at the top of a tree. At Lakenheath the Glossy Ibis was feeding in Hockwold Washes. There were still no hirundines to be seen anywhere but I did add a Reed Warbler for a yeartick. Sedge Warbler and Cetti's Warblers were also calling. Dave and I walked around the bank but failed to find the reported Whinchat. Back at Pentney two Little Ringed Plovers were running on the nearside bank and two Yellow Wagtails were running around on the ground.

Stone Curlew
Tree Pipit
Yellow Wagtail

24th April

John and I started very early at Rush Hill scrape at Hickling where we could hear the Savi'sWarbler reeling as we walked up Weaver's Way. Dave Holman and one other already had scopes trained on the bird and let us looked through their scopes. We could see the bird well in the glorious still morning's sun. After watching for a while and listening to it, whilst a Grasshopper Warbler was also reeling just behind us, we walked up to the hide. Here two Spoonbills were asleep on the scrape. A couple of Swifts flew over the reedbed and the air was full of Swallows and Sand Martins. Avocets were busy feeding as a Common Tern flew around the scrape. We walked back to the Savi's Warbler which was still reeling as a Green Sandpiper flew over our heads.

                          Savi's Warbler

                         Dartford Warbler
After walking back to the car we explored the new wetland area that NWT have created at Potter Heigham. There are many new pools that are fantastic for birding and is a fabulous habitat. Lapwing and Ruff were feeding in the mud as many wildfowl were making use of the pools.

At Sea Pailling I noticed a Hen Harrier quartering the fields along with several Marsh Harriers.

We motored on to Happisburgh where we counted 10 Shorelark in the field along with a couple of Wheatear and 2 Ringed Plovers. We walked up the track and heard a Dartford Warbler in the Alexanders. It was highly mobile and getting a photograph was challenging to say the least. The wind had increased in strength and we had lost the sunlight. I don't blame the Dartford Warbler for taking shelter. As I was attempting to take a photo I heard a whoosh right by my ear. A Cuckoo had almost flown straight into me!

At Eccles we stopped to look at some gulls sitting on a newly ploughed field and admired two Mediterranean Gulls.
Mediterranean Gulls

We stopped at Ormesby Broad where Common Terns were flying around and onto Filby Broad where a Common Kingfisher brightened up the scene. There were many hirundines flying over the water, including House Martin, Sand Martin and Swallow. Common terns were also flying around.

We finished the day at Great Yarmouth Bird Club where John gave an excellent talk.