Steam Noir

The Creations of William Wardrop

Panama Canal Gun

The defense of the Panama canal started in 1941 with a series of fix-mounted guns ranging from 12-inch mortars to 16-inch rifles.

Located near Fort Amador (formerly known as Fort Grant), Ramenco Island, Fort Kobbe, Fort Randolph, and Fort Sherman, these guns served as a defense well into the cold war era. 

WWI Mortar Cannon

During WW1 this cannon was produced by Skoda Armaments Works in Czechoslovakia for the German forces. It was used to destroy the French fortifications at Mons by General Erich Ludendorff. It took a week to emplace this 24" gun with a 6' x 24' x 9' thick concrete base. This gun was used throughout WWII as well until it was captured by Allied forces in Czechoslovakia. 

Russian Artillery

These cannons are a classic examples of the mobile artillery of Czarist Russia during the 19th century.

Civil War Fortress Gun

This fix-mounted cannon design was used by the Union Army in defense of Fort Monroe during the American Civil War.

Der Kaiser Cannon

This giant gun was the brain child of Herr Dr. Ing D. Riethmeier of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute in Berlin. It was his wish to bombard the English back to the Stone Age with this huge cannon by firing concrete shells into L.E.O. The gun’s barrel was of a new steel and titanium matrix that did away with the need for support at the top of the gun's barrel. The shell was so massive a steam crane was added as a permanent part of the loading equipment. The four-engine R-plane seen in the foreground was to track windage down range of the target, however this proved ineffective due to the shock of the shells passage knocking the plane out of the sky. It took six hours to reload and set up for the next shot. The shockwave upon firing would render all people in a five kilometer radius deaf and unconscious! Undaunted, Herr Dr. Riethmeier planned to extend operations and shell the United States, but the whole idea was canceled when it was found that the shells were burning up on reentry in the Earth's atmosphere.

Russian tank gun 1899

Auxillary Steam Equipment

Back Left - This engine  is a paraffin engine that worked like a conventional steam engine, except instead of boiling water, it boiled paraffin.  This is akin to boiling gasoline.  It would flash to steam faster & provide more power, just before it exploded & set everything in the boat on fire.  In spite of this drawback, it was a very popular mode of power until the invention of the internal combustion engine.  This was chiefly used in small launches in the 1890s.

Center - This is a steam powered torpedo launcher for a future torpedo boat project that I'm currently working on.

Right - This is a four barrel rocket launcher, strictly imaginary, it will also be incorporated into a future piece.