Royal Air Force Locking

No 1 Radio School

History of RAF Locking.

(What's this?) What is the EasyEdit button? This website gets better when people like you add to it. Just click the EasyEdit button to start. (help)
ROOTS OF No.1 RADIO SCHOOL

1916 School for training wireless operators formed at Farnborough, Hants by the Royal Flying Corps.


April 1918 The first contingent of RAF (Boys) moved from RAF Halton (Wendover, Bucks.) to RAF Cranwell (Sleaford, Lincolnshire) as "The Boys Wing" to be trained as Fitter Aero Engine, Fitter Jig & Tool, Carpenter Rigger, Draughtsman, Rigger Aero, Fitter Armourer, Fitter Driver Petrol, Blacksmith, Turner, Coppersmith, or Coach Motor & Body Builder.


November 1918 Wireless Operator School transferred to the RAF.


1919 Wireless Operator School moved to Flowerdown and re-titled No.1 (T) Wireless School.


July 1919 No.1 (T) Wireless School renamed to Electrical & Wireless School.


October 1919 The School of Technical Training (Boys) was formed at RAF Halton


March 1920 The School of Technical Training (Boys) at RAF Halton was renamed No.1 School of Technical Training (Boys), and the Boys Wing RAF Cranwell was renamed No.2 School of Technical Training. The numbering of Boy Mechanic/Aircraft Apprentice Entries commenced at this time.


April 1921 No.2 School of Technical Training at RAF Cranwell reverted to The Boys Wing.


January 1922 Lord Trenchard created Aircraft Apprenticeships for Boy Mechanics. Apprenticeships began at the Electrical Wireless School RAF Flowerdown, Hants; the majority were trained as Wireless Operator Mechanics, the remainder as Electricians or Instrument Makers.


October 1925 The Boys Wing RAF Cranwell renamed as No.4 (Apprentice) Wing.


July 1926 No.4 (Apprentice) Wing moved to No.1 School of Technical Training at RAF Halton. Apprentice training ceased at Cranwell until August 1929.


August 1929 The Electrical & Wireless School moved from RAF Flowerdown to RAF Cranwell.


1934 Boy Entrant training at the Electrical & Wireless School commenced in the trade of Wireless Operator.


October 1935 The Electrical & Wireless School at RAF Cranwell was divided into 2 Wings.
No.1 Wing trained airmen as Electricians, Clerks, Plotters and Telephonists.
No.2 Wing trained :
a. Officers.
b. Apprentices as Wireless Operator Mechanics.
Wireless Electrical Mechanics or Instrument Makers,
c. Boy Entrants as Wireless Operators.
d. Tradesmen on Refresher/Conversion courses.


November 1938 The Electrical & Wireless School became No 1 Electrical & Wireless School.


August 1940 No.1 Electrical & Wireless School became No.1 Signals School.


August 1940 Instrument Maker training transferred to No.1 School of Technical Training RAF Halton.


March 1941 No.1 Radio School (teaching radar) formed at RAF Cranwell.


January 1943 No.1 Radio School retitled No.8 Radio School and No.1 Signals School renamed No.1 Radio School.


January 1950 The title, No.1 Radio School, moved to RAF Locking (Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset) but apprentice training continued at RAF Cranwell as No.6 Radio School.


November 1952 Apprentices of No.6 Radio School moved to No.1 Radio School at RAF Locking to complete their training.


1964 Last entry of Aircraft Apprentices commenced training at No.1 Radio School. The first entry of Craft Apprentices commenced training in September 1964 followed by the first Technician Apprentices entry who commenced training in October 1964


1965 Air Electronics trade training moved to RAF Cosford. No.1 Radio School became responsible for ground electronics trade training.


1966 The last entry of Aircraft Apprentices completed training at RAF Locking.


1970 The first entry of Mechanic Apprentices commenced training.


1976 End of all Ground Electronic Apprentice training. No.1 Radio School assumed responsibility for training the Electronic Technicians Synthetic Trainer.


1978 Reorganisation of the ground electronics trade group resulting in three sub-specialisations - Airfields, Air Defence and Telecommunications.


1985 YTS training commenced. Synthetic Trainer moved to No.2 School of Technical Training at RAF Cosford.


1987 Introduction of Trade Management Training for TG3 personnel.


1988-1989 Trade Group 11 training transferred progressively to No.1 Radio School fromNo.2 School of Technical Training.


1993 Amalgamation of the three specialisations of Airfields, Air Defence and Telecommunications into a single, multi-skilled Ground Electronics trade, with a new single-gate entry.


1st April 1999 Move from RAF Locking into Flowerdown Hall, RAF Cosford. Disbandment of No.1 Radio School.


2nd April 2003 Re-formation of No.1 Radio School on the occasion of its 60th Anniversary at RAF Cosford.

Webs Counter

Facebook subscribers click here.

Share on Facebook

RAF Locking map