RC Voyage

Dedicated to RC by Jeff Keith

Forums

Forum Home > Anything RC > Crash & Repair

Skezzcrom

Not long ago I crashed my Sky Trainer nose first into the ground.  All pilots will experience a crash or ten.  My crash occured through a battery failure in my tx unit, just as I was pulling out of a loop at full speed, nose first into the ground.  Equipment failure can and will happen even with brand new equipment.  This particular aircraft was over a year old and had 50+ hours of flying time.  Needless to say, I like this plane so I was determined to put her back together.  I ordered the parts from Nitro Planes and they shipped them safely and quickly.

The first of the photos shows the damaged plane with some of the parts.  I had to remove the Black windshield (canopy) on the left to be able to split the foam of the fuselage.  In the photo you will see the damage front landing gear, it broke off from the engine mount which was totally destroyed in the crash.  Took a new cowling, and struts as well.

September 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Skezzcrom

The second photo shows where I split the fuselage, inserted the motor mount, and reclosed the split with ample epoxy.  The rubber bands became the clamps due to to the shape of body.  They were easy to remove later, I just cut them with my knife and disposed of them.  That epoxy is two part 1 hour set (ran of of 5 minute epoxy before this project)   Note: On the passenger side, just below the window, you will see my AMA#.  I placed it there in case I had a fly off and someone recovered the plane for me.

September 5, 2011 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Skezzcrom

The third photo shows where I have reinstalled the canopy and again I am using the rubber bands to act as clamps.  I reinstalled the engine and placed the prop back on.  There was no damage to the motor or prop other than the prop shaft was bent , a simple process of taking out three screws and replacing the shaft solved that problem.

September 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Skezzcrom

The next photo shows the screws that were inserted to hold the cowling to the motor mount and body.  Note the slight damage from the crash near  the cowling, I will it leave as a scar and reminder of  the crash :)

September 5, 2011 at 12:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Skezzcrom

The final shot shows the Sky Trainer rebuilt and ready to fly, though I may repaint the cowling .  Don't be afraid to repair your aircraft, take your time and it will turn out better than you expect!

September 5, 2011 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

The Weather Channel

The Humane Society

I am Dedicated to help keep you  flying !

Recent Forum Posts

by Skezzcrom over a year ago
by Jeff Keith over a year ago

Recent Videos

540 views - 0 comments
630 views - 1 comment
813 views - 1 comment
313 views - 2 comments