Elizabeth City Junior Woman's Club

Volunteers Giving and Growing

The Elizabeth City Junior Woman's Club was organized in October, 1932, with fifteen energetic, civic-minded young women.  Under the direction of Mrs. W. W. Stienemates and with Mrs. Lawrence Aydlett as its first president, the club was built on a firm foundation and has grown to greater heights of achievement and community service each year.  The first community project was the Milk Fund, which supplied indigent children with necessary nourishment.

Through the years, the Juniors have accomplished many things - starting a pediatric playroom at Albemarle Hospital, endowing a scholarship at College of the Albemarle, adding a Juniorette Club for middle and high school girls, and sponsoring the Spring Sprint 5K Fun Run and the Mistletoe Show craft show.

We sponsor many activities in the community including the annual Easter Egg Hunt held at the softball fields behind Boys Club the Saturday before Easter.  Each fall, we hold a coat and sweater drive in the local community with all of the coats and sweaters donated to the Department of Health and Social Services.