Dairy Equipment, Surge and Dairy Goats


Standard lid

Lid with a green gasket in it


This is the lid showing where the check valve goes, it will drop in.

When buying used equipment make sure all parts are there. Or calculate the cost of what is needed and postage to order it. As shown here you must have the correct pulsator to fit a lid.  Don't buy one without another.  Most of the time Surge pulsators can easily be rebuilt, there is a kit to rebuild for about $8.00.  You can use a surge lid on most milkers/buckets. Some time you will get a bucket and lid that has been bent where attached to the bucket and will not seal.  There is a place in Quarryville PA that can fix  them so they fit.   Actually I had taken one with my pail and they only charged a couple dollars.

Lids and pulsator without hoses.

This shows two different type of lids, they both fit the milker, however you must have the correct pulsator to fit the lid.  The lid and pulsator on the left has a short stem, and you need a pulsator that matches it.  On the right is a different lid, see how the stem is taller, it takes deeper pulsator. the top stems actually are facing back like those below.  Don't know why the photo came out this way looking side ways.

The lid on the left has a circular top for the pulsator to fit. The lid on the right is a little different.  These are the same lids from above. One shows the black O ring that fits under the pulsator.  Most lids need a O ring.  There is also a check valve that fits in the hole of the lid and under the pulsator. I find the Surge much more simple than most set ups.  When purchasing old equipment you want to be sure it has the black O ring (.75), check valve optional ($8.00)  and gasket that fits between lid and pail ($4.00).  Vacuum hoses are the narrow black hoses that go to the small air nipple on pulsator, and on the nipple on the shell (which holds the inflation), for a goat there are 2 air hoses, 4 for cow.  It is safe to have used air hoses as milk does not get in them.  I prefer new inflations (hose) for the milk,  they go in a shell, for a goat you need two, cow 4, they go to lid and shell.  For goat you use a inflation but you need a longer hose,  I use USDA approved clear tubing about 3 feet long to slip on the lid and use a plastic connector to attach tubing/hose to inflation which works great.  Cows inflations fit on the shell and on the lid with out connectors.  I like a straight connection instead of elbow to hold them together, but each to their own.  I prefer plastic but metal is available. Cows do not need connectors the short inflation fits right on the lid, and bucket hangs under the cow belly.  Unless you want to set the milker on the ground, then you use the longer hose, goat set up.


Old surge pulsator and lid needs no O ring

Create a Free Website