THE SENSATIONS MAGAZINE CREATIVE EVENTS SERIES - 2015 SEASON
THE SENSATIONS MAGAZINE CREATIVE EVENTS SERIES - AMONG THE 25 LONGEST CONTINUALLY-ACTIVE POETRY READING SERIES IN AMERICA TODAY (ACCORDING TO 2015 RESEARCH) - BEGINS ITS 28TH SEASON IN APRIL 2015. THIS "PRIVATIZED" SERIES IS ONLY FOR ACTIVE 2015 SUBSCRIBERS TO SENSATIONS MAGAZINE, PLUS OCCASIONAL GUESTS INVITED BY THE PUBLISHER.
IF YOU ARE A 2015 SUBSCRIBER, PLEASE MARK THESE DATES ON YOUR 2015 CALENDAR NOW, AND JOIN US. ADDITIONAL DETAILS ABOUT THESE EVENTS WILL BE SENT TO SUBSCRIBERS BY EMAIL.
1. FRI APRIL 3, 2015 - DM "NATIONAL POETRY MONTH" FEATURE, IN "CALLING ALL POETS" SERIES, CENTER FOR CREATIVE EDUCATION, BEACON, NY
2. SUN APRIL 19, 2015 - LAUNCH OF 28TH SEASON OF THE SENSATIONS MAGAZINE CREATIVE EVENTS SERIES. "TRAVELING CAFE SERIES" - READING OF SENSATIONS MAGAZINE POETS AND 2015-2016 SUBSCRIBERS. INCLEMENT WEATHER DATE: SUN APRIL 28. DETAILS TBA IN 2015.
3. SUN JUNE 7, 2015 - SENSATIONS MAGAZINE FULL DAY EVENT: WRITING WORKSHOP, READING, AND DINNER (RAIND DATE SUN JUNE 14)
4. SAT OCT 31, 2015 - HALLOWEEN READING IN COSTUME AT THE PUBLISHER'S HOME, FOR GUESTS INVITED BY PUBLISHER - LAFAYETTE, NJ
THE 2013-2014 "FADING INTO THE FUTURE FAREWELL INTERNATIONAL TOUR" FOR HISTORIOPTICON WAS HELD APRIL 2013 TO DEC 2014. IT CONSISTEDN OF A TOTAL OF 40 READINGS ON 4 CONTINENTS (AFRICA, ASIA, AUSTRALIA, AND NORTH AMERICA) AND IN 9 STATES (ALASKA, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, FLORIDA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEVADA, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, AND PENNSYLVANIA).THE 2013 READINGS
1. TUES APRIL 2, 7-9PM - HISTORIOPTICON BOOK DEBUT: HAROLD'S COFFEE LOUNGE, 509 NORTHWOOD ROAD, WEST PALM BEACH, FL. FEATURE READING - OPENING WITH FORMAL, FOLLOWING WITH HISTORIOPTICON, + OPEN MIC FOR POETS
2. SUNDAY APRIL 7, 1PM - ST. BARTHOLEMEW'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, ST. PETERSBURG, FL
3. SAT APRIL 13, 5:20PM - RAINBOW BOOK FAIR, HOLIDAY INN, NEW YORK, NY
4. FRI APRIL 19, 7PM - FLORIDA, NY - FLORIDA PUBLIC LIBRARY (HOSTED BY ROBERT MILBY) - NORTHERN REGION DEBUT FOR HISTORIOPTICON
5. MON MAY 13, 7:30PM - STAMFORD, CT - BARNES & NOBLE (HOSTED BY NICK MIELE)
6. SUN MAY 19 - READING AT BILL'S FIG FARM FESTIVAL, FLEMINGTON, NJ (PREVIEW)
7. SUN JUNE 16 - MONTCLAIR, NJ - THIRD SUNDAY POETRY SERIES, WATCHUNG BOOKSELLERS (HOSTED BY MARINA CRAMER) - NJ DEBUT FOR HISTORIOPTICON
8. SUN JUNE 30, 3PM - ROCKAWAY, NJ - PHANfest 4, REST STOP REJUVENATE, ROCKAWAY, NJ
9. SAT JULY 13, 10AM-NOON - PAHRUMP, NEVADA - OFF 160 COFFEEHOUSE (DM FEATURE - STATE #49 - SERIES HOSTED BY JOHN AND AYSA SALACAN)
10-11. WED JULY 17 & THURS JULY 18 - ANCHORAGE CITY LIGHTS, ANCHORAGE, ALASKA (DM FEATURE - "FINAL" STATE #50); SECOND READING SET AT RESTAURANT OPEN MIC
12. FRI AUG 9 - WHEELER ARTS CENTER, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
13. AUG - OPEN MIC PERFORMANCE, HOBART, TASMANIA
14-15. TUES AUG 20 & WED AUG 21 - THAMMASAT UNIVERSITY, BANGKOK AND RANGIT, THAILAND
16. SEPT - BORA BORA - VIDEOTAPED 3-POEM READING FROM HISTORIOPTICON
17. SUN OCT 20, 2-4PM - SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ POETRY SERIES (HOSTED BY HANK KALET) - CO-FEATURE W/DAVIDSON GARRETT - SOUTH BRUNSWICK LIBRARY, 110 KINGSTON LANE, MONMOUTH JUNCTION, NJ
18. WED NOV 6, 7:30PM - SARATOGA, NY - CAFFE LENA (8PM FEATURE)
19. THURS NOV 21, 7PM - PORT JERVIS, NY - OUT LOUD POETRY AT UPFRONT ART GALLERY (SPECIAL CIVIL WAR THEME SET WITH COSTUME)
20. SAT DECEMBER 14, 2013, 12:30PM - VINELAND, NJ - POETRY GO ROUND SERIES AT LARRY'S II RESTAURANT, 907 NORTH MAIN ROAD, HOSTED BY CHRISTOPHER NEY
THE 2014 READINGS
21. THURS JAN 30, 7-9PM - WESTFIELD, NJ - GALLERY U, 439 SOUTH AVENUE - HOSTED BY ROBERT LANGDON
Last feature reading for the First Edition of Historiopticon. Other feature poets this evening include Robert Langdon and Bob Meyer. An open mic will follow. The last copies of the First Edition of Historiopticon will be available for purchase at this reading.
22. SAT FEB 8, 2014, 7PM - TEANECK, NJ - NORTH JERSEY LITERARY SERIES, CLASSIC QUICHE CAFE, 330 QUEEN ANNE RD, TEANECK - HOSTED BY PAUL NASH & DENISE LA NEVE
DEBUT OF HISTORIOPTICON, SECOND EDITION
For the expanded Second Edition debut of Historiopticon, David will exclusively read poems from the second section of his book, "Historiopticon," featuring poems that travel through time and poems with people from the past set in the present and vice versa, in his first set. In his second set, he will (for the first time) read the full part of the third section, "When Time Travel Became Real," including the 20-part "Across the Wires." As standard, an open mic will be held between the feature poet's first and second sets.
The first eight printed softcover copies of Historiopticon will be available for purchase at this reading for $25 (cash or personal check to "David Messineo"). This is a discount off the price w/shipping offered in the usual ordering location: http://www.blurb.com/, putting "Historiopticon" in the Search box.
Arrive early for dinner, to support Classic Quiche for continuing to offer this venue for poetry performance!
23. SAT FEB 15, 2014, 1-3PM - BLAIRSTOWN, NJ - BLAIRSTOWN LIBRARY - THEME: "THE MANY FACES OF LOVE" (CO-FEATURE WITH SUSANNA RICH), WITH OPEN MIC ON "LOVE" THEME
The Dynamic Duo jointly feature their work in a "call and response" feature format - both poets on stage the full time - and an open mic on the theme of "the many faces of love" to follow. David will be sharing one published poem of Eugenia Macer-Story's as part of his set. Come show the love and share part of Valentine's weekend with us!
24. FRI MAR 28, 2014, 7PM - RUTHERFORD, NJ - GAINVILLE CAFE, 17 AMES AVENUE - HOSTED BY MARK FOGARTY
This is David's first feature reading in this long-running series, sponsored by the Red Wheelbarrow Poets. Expect to hear his two poems from Historiopticon, republished in their recent anthology, along with other selections from all three sections of his book.
25. THURS APR 3, 2014, 7PM - CAMPBELL HALL, NY - NOBLE COFFEE ROASTERS, 3020 NEW YORK 207 - HOSTED BY ROBERT MILBY
This is David's second feature reading in this elegant café, following his previous feature reading for his earlier book, Formal. Expect a mixed set of poems, with an open mic to follow. This will be David's sole feature reading for National Poetry Month 2014.
26. SAT MAY 10, 2014, NOON AND 3PM - SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY - TBA
Celebrating the 350th anniversary of New Jersey with two feature readings (no open mic) in a special location, to be announced shortly.
27. SUN JUNE 1, 2014, 7PM - WURTSBORO, NY - "POETRY IN THE GALLERY" AT WURTSBORO ARTS ALLIANCE GALLERY, 73 SULLIVAN STREET - HOSTED BY WALTER WORDEN
This is David's second feature reading in this pleasant art gallery, following his previous feature reading for his earlier book, Formal. Expect a mixed set of poems, with an open mic to follow. (At this reading, David will be sharing one published poem of Woodstock NY poet Eugenia Macer-Story, who passed away in December 2013. Those who wish to remember Eugenia, but were not able to attend the Woodstock remembrance on Jan 11, 2014, are encouraged to take part in the open mic portion to read a poem of hers.)
28. FRI JUNE 20, 6:30PM - DOYLESTOWN, PA - DOYLESTOWN BOOKSTORE, 16 S. MAIN STREET, DOYLESTOWN
David brings the 2014 tour for Historiopticon to its only planned stop in Pennsylvania. Expect poems to be presented representing each of the American centuries, as well as poems that reflect some of the history of the state of Pennsylvania. A book signing will follow the reading.
29. THURS JULY 10, 2014, 7:00PM - KINGSTON, NY - BOHEMIAN BOOK BIN, 592 ULSTER AVE., KINGSTON - HOSTED BY TERESA COSTA
This is David's first feature reading in this independent book store. Expect a mixed set of poems, with an open mic to follow. Information to order copies of Historiopticon online will be made available to participants. (At this reading, David will be sharing one published poem of Woodstock NY poet Eugenia Macer-Story, who passed away in December 2013. Those who wish to remember Eugenia, but were not able to attend the Woodstock remembrance on Jan 11, 2014, are encouraged to take part in the open mic portion to read a poem of hers.)
30. SAT AUG 2, 6:10PM - "CALLING ALL POETS" (CAPS) MARATHON, HOWLAND CULTURAL CENTER, 477 MAIN STREET, BEACON, NY - David brings the 2014 Historiopticon Tour to this all-day marathon (noon to 11pm). He will be the second poet in the 6pm time slot, and in attendance from 3pm to his performance.
31. SUN AUG 10 2014, 2-5PM - LAFAYETTE, NJ COVERED BRIDGE (RAIN DATE SUN AUG 17) - David reads from Historiopticon as part of this round-robin reading, on a covered bridge over a river.
32. SUN SEPT 29, 2014, 7PM - GOSHEN, NY - A Preview of Historiopticon was shared at the Goshen Methodist Church.
33. SAT OCT 11, 2014, 2-4:30PM - NEW HOPE, PENNSYLVANIA - Book signing at Soul, Body & Home, 15 W. Ferry Street. Reading at 3pm on the back porch. Refreshments provided.
34. MON OCT 13, 2014 - NEWBURY, NEW HAMPSHIRE (PUBLIC LIBRARY), HOSTED BY DIANALEE VELIE - David brings his tour for Historiopticon back to Newbury Public Library, for his last feature reading in New Hampshire for the foreseeable future.
35&36. OCT 24 & 25, 2014 - McGREGOR, SOUTH AFRICA (2 HOURS WEST OF CAPE TOWN)
David completed the process of performing feature readings on six of the seven continents, with his recent trip to Africa. His feature reading for Historiopticon was on Friday October 24 at Edna Fourie Gallery in McGregor, South Africa. His feature reading for Formal was at Caritas Conference Center at Temenos Retreat, McGregor, South Africa.
37. SUN NOV 23, 2014, 3-5:30PM - PHANfest 5 LUNCHEON & POETRY READING, STOKES STEAKHOUSE, 19 HWY 206 SOUTH, SANDYSTON, NJ - DM will include a set for Historiopticon at this fifth and final fundraiser/luncheon for NJ food pantries.
38. MON NOV 24, 2014, 7PM - GOSHEN, NY - GOSHEN UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, RT. 207, GOSHEN, NY - HOSTED BY TED GILL
This will be David's first feature reading in this longtime series in Goshen, NY.
39. SAT DEC 13 2014, 5-7PM - WILMINGTON, DELAWARE - JACKSON INN, 101 N. DUPONT ROAD, WILMINGTON, DE (CONCLUSION OF THE 2013-2014 TOUR)
David concludes his Historiopticon Tour in Delaware, with his first feature reading at the 2nd Saturday Poets series, in operation for 31 years.
40. SUN DEC 21, 2PM - LAFAYETTE, NJ - POETRY SALON AT THE PUBLISHER'S HOME, BY INVITATION - FOR THOSE WHO PURCHASED "EPHEMERA," AND FOR THOSE WHO GENEROUSLY DONATED TO PHANfest 5
ADDITIONAL 2013-2014 EVENTS - 5 - THE SENSATIONS MAGAZINE CREATIVE EVENTS SERIES
1. SUN MAR 17, 2013, 1:30-3PM - 'REMEMBERING POET MOIRA BAILIS', FORT LEE PUBLIC LIBRARY, FORT LEE, NJ
Sensations Magazine sponsors a remembrance of the poetry of Moira Bailis, including 45 minutes of video screenings of Moira reading her own poetry, culled from various Sensations Magazine readings across 20 years.
2. SUN DEC 29, 2013, 2-4PM- POETRY SALON AT THE PUBLISHER'S, LAFAYETTE, NJ
Sensations Magazine sponsors a "round robin" open mic salon for our previously published writers. Opening set: one published poem from our pages, read by the original author. Following sets: poet's choice, with emphasis on new material.
3. SUN MAY 4, 2014 - SENSATIONS MAGAZINE CREATIVE EVENTS SERIES 27TH SEASON OPENER - HUMMINGBIRD HOUSE, FREDON, NJ (RELAUNCH OF "THE TRAVELING CAFE SERIES", ANTICIPATED ANNUALLY)
Luncheon and "round robin" open mic, by invitation only.
4. SUN NOV 23, 2014, 3-6PM - SENSATIONS MAGAZINE PHANfest 5 FOOD PANTRY FUNDRAISER - STOKES STEAK HOUSE, 19 HWY 206 S., SANDYSTON, NJ
Luncheon and "round robin" poetry reading, by invitation only.
5. SUN DEC 21, 2014, 2-4:30PM - SENSATIONS MAGAZINE "EPHEMERA" DEBUT - TBA (SNOW DATE SUN DEC 28)
THE SENSATIONS MAGAZINE CREATIVE EVENTS SERIES
Since January 1988, Sensations Magazine has sponsored events ranging from poetry, live music, and dance to writers' workshops, retreats, and literary and historical lectures and walking tours.
The Sensations Magazine Creative Events Series, our travelling non-smoking poetry reading series, has been in operating annually since 1988, and is in 2015 the third longest ongoing poetry reading series in the State of New Jersey, and is also among the 25 longest continually operating poetry reading series in America.