The Giant Killers



Giant Killers



1964 - 1966 

Millwall 2-0 Fulham
Third Round replay: Monday January 11th 1965

Attendance: 31,339 

Scorers: Dave Harper, Barry Rowan 

Ranked at the time: 29 

Millwall: 1:Alex Stepney, 2:John Gilchrist, 3:Harry Cripps, 4:Dave Harper, 5:Tom Wilson, 6:Ray Gough, 7:Barry Rowan, 8:Jimmy Whitehouse, 9:Dai Jones, 10:Hugh Curran, 11:Dennis John. Manager:Billy Gray 
Fulham: 1:Tony Macedo, 2:George Cohen, 3:Jimmy Langley, 4:Bobby Robson, 5:John Dempsey, 6:Stan Brown, 7:Johnny Key, 8:Rodney Marsh, 9:Reg Stratton, 10:Johnny Haynes, 11:Trevor 'Tosh' Chamberlain
Peterborough United 2-1 Arsenal
Fourth Round: Saturday January 30th 1965

Attendance: 30,056  

Scorers: {United} Derek Dougan {72}, Peter McNamee {85}: {Arsenal} John Radford {45} 

Ranked at the time: 141

 Although the mid 1960s was very much a doldrums period for Arsenal, the very name remained a huge draw in the FA Cup. Peterborough were still very much among the babies of the Football League. Granted access to its fabled halls in 1960, Posh won promotion to Division Three at the first attempt and went into 1965 on the fringes of the Second Division promotion race. Under former Manchester City player, Gordon Clark, Posh won their way through to the fourth round of the cup at the expense of Salisbury, QPR and Chesterfield. Arsenal, under the guidance of the former Wolves legend, Billy Wright, were going through yet another meandering season in the First Division and started their cup run with a routine victory at Darlington.

A huge crowd packed into London Road, many in mourning dress, having watched the state funeral of Sir Winston Churchill on television earlier that day, while youngsters were passed over heads to take their places on the cinder track around the pitch. They would be treated to a great close up view of the Arsenal stars as they struggled to contain their enthusiastic Peterborough opponents during the first half. The Posh failed to turn their superiority into goals however and right on half time, George Eastham’s corner was driven into the net by John Radford to leave the home crowd deflated and feeling like Arsenal’s First Division ability would see them through.

It was ironic then that after Arsenal spent long periods pressing for a decisive second goal in the second half they were pegged back eighteen minutes from time when Ron Barnes slotted through to Derek Dougan who shrugged off the attentions of Ian Ure before firing Posh level.

The noise levels in London Road went through the roof as Peterborough pressed for a winner while Arsenal began to look like a side happy to take the game back to Highbury. But just when Arsenal looked like they had weathered the storm, Ron Barnes found Peter McNamee who from barely five yards gave Tony Burns in the Arsenal goal no chance. There was barely five minutes left on the clock, which Arsenal spent laying siege to Willie Duff’s g oal. Duff stood firm, making two excellent saves in the dying moments to keep the Gunners out.

Arsenal trudged away from London Road to the end of a mediocre mid table season while Peterborough marched triumphantly into a fifth round replay victory at Second Division strugglers, Swansea before First Division Chelsea proved too good in the quarter finals.

United: 1:Willie Duff, 2:Ron Copper, 3:Graham Birks, 4:Vic Crowe, 5:Frank Rankmore, 6:Harry Orr, 7:Ron Barnes, 8:Ollie Conmy, 9:Derek Dougan, 10:Peter Deakin, 11:Peter McNamee. Manager:Gordon Clark   
Arsenal: 1:Tony Burns, 2:Don Howe, 3:Fed Clarke, 4:Frank McLintock, 5:Ian Ure, 6:David Court, 7:Alan Skirton, 8:John Radford, 9:George Eastham, 10:George Armstrong, 11:Joe Baker. Manager:Billy Wright
Crystal Palace 3-1 Nottingham Forest 
Fifth Round: Saturday February 20th 1965

Attendance: 41,667   

Scorers: {Palace} Peter Burridge, David Burnside, Cliff Holton : {Forest} Frank Wignall 

Ranked at the time: 364 

Palace: 1:John Jackson, 2:Bert Lowe, 3:Terry Long, 4:John Holsgrove, 5:Alan Stephenson, 6:Peter Burridge, 7:Brian Whitehouse, 8:Ray Horobin, 9:Cliff Holton, 10:David Burnside, 11:Bobby Kellard. Manager:Dick Graham   
Forest:1:Peter Grummitt, 2:Peter Hindley, 3:Dennis Mochan, 4:Henry Newton, 5:Bobby McKinlay, 6:Jeff Whitefoot, 7:Ian Storey-Moore, 8:Colin Adison, 9:Frank Wignall, 10:John Barnwell, 11:Alan Hinton. Manager:Johnny Carey
Honourable Mention
Stockport County, bottom of Division Four beat Grimsby, second in Division Three 1-0 in the Second Round on December 7th 1964 with a goal from Derek Hodgkinson. The team was,Ken Mulhearn, John Collins, Ean Cuthbert, Mike Eckersall, Colin Parry, Trevor Porteous, Tony Brooks, Frank Beaumont, Ian Sandiford, Derek Hodgkinson and Peter Phoenix
Stockport County followed that with a 3-2 third round replay against Division Three table toppers, Bristol Rovers on January 11th 1965 with Hodgkinson, Sandiford and Beaumont getting the goals in front of a crowd of nearly 20,000. Johnny Watt replaced Tony Brooks in that tie

Members Area

Newest Members