What is Epilepsy?
Epilepsy is a disease, which defined as paroxysmal and temporary disturbance of brain characterized by loss of consciousness or muscle tic or abnormal sensation, emotion and behavior. In Acupuncture word, this disease is categorized as 'xian zheng'(epilepsy syndrome) and 'dian xian'(epilepsy).
1. Histories of the family, epileptic attack and encephalopathia.
2. Clinical manifestations are varying greatly. There may be grand mal, rolandic mal, infantile spasms and petit mal. Grand mal is characterized by suddenly loss of consciousness, involuntary of muscular contraction with foam in the mouth, which last for 1 to 5 minutes. The patients may then fall into sleep and awake after a few hours. The petit mal is sudden, short loss of awareness without aurea and muscle tic, come with interruptions of speech or action, which persist for 2 to 10 seconds. The patients often normally come to consciousness quickly.
Types of Syndrome
1. Epilepsy Induced by Fear
Main symptoms are sudden panic, confusion and loss of self-control, frighten and may be alarm and restlessness, crying with fear during sleep, tendency to remain in the mother's arms, alternative flush and pal low on the face, red tongue with white fur, taut and rapid slippery pulse.
2. Epilepsy due to Accumulation of Phlegm
Main symptoms are convulsion of extremities during a fit do epilepsy, unconsciousness, headache and abdominal pain, come with strider produced by phlegm in the throat, salivation, yellow face, thick fur of tongue, and slippery and rapid pulse.
3. Epilepsy due to Blood Stasis
Main symptoms are with a history of birth injury or trauma which characterized as paroxysmal localized headache, occasional vomiting, paroxysmal convulsion of the whole body or half body or local region upon attack, dark purple tongue, thread and unsmooth pulses and dark purple superficial venue of the index finger.
Usually it takes between 1 to 6 months for recovery by Chinese Master's theory of medication. For some who has epilepsy more then 10 times a day or had it for more then 2 years may need more time. Also you must take into consideration of others organs problems.
What is A Cute Toxic encephalopathy
Acute toxic encephalopathy is caused by the abrupt appearance of symptoms and signs of the central nervous system in the course of primary diseases. The reason of the disease is unknown. The disease may be associated with immunoreactions to infection and its toxin invading the brain tissue directly. In Acupuncture, this is called 'jing feng'(infantile convulsion).
1. It may occur at any age, but usually in infants from 1 to 3 years old. The brain damage always follows by the primary disorders within a few days or 1 to 2 weeks after their attack.
2. The diagnosis is usually abrupt with high fever, headache, vomiting, restlessness, convulsion, coma, delayed reaction to light, always come with holotonia, decerebrate rigidity. Some of the patients may have the symptoms of meningeal irritation, increased or reduced of tendon reflex and have cerebella symptoms, such as ataxia and kinetic tremor.
3. The lab exam shows that cerebrospinal fluid is clear. All are normal only the pressure is high and sometimes there is a slight increase of protein.
4. By fund us exam, arteriolar spasm, blood stasis of small vein and retinal edema can be observed.
Types of Syndrome
1. Always seen in the stage of cerebral edema of toxic encephalopathy, in the case of the primary disease, with abrupt high fever, headache, vomiting, restlessness, delirium, drowsiness, convulsions of the limbs, involuntary staring, lockjaw or unconsciousness, deep-red tongue with yellow and dry fur, stiffness of the extremities and neck, either taut and rapid or slippery and rapid pulse.
Chinese Master's Treatment
Usually it takes between 1 to 6 months for recovery by Chinese Master's theory of medication, normally without any others complications. For those who haze more complications may need more treatment then others.